Unable to connect to WMI service

Thread: Unable to connect to WMI service

Unable to connect to WMI service

Hey there-
    I am running XPSP2 and have run into a problem with my home LAN. There is one computer that can get internet access, can access other computers, but no other computer can access IT. It does show up in "view workgroup computers".
    I tried to ping, no luck. But it can ping itself, and the wireless access point.
    Here's the rest: The Firewall can't be accessed. In the network card's properties, "Advanced" does not show up, it says it can't access the WMI, or Windows Management Instrumentation. I ran the Network Diagnostics, it said " Unable to connect to WMI service '\\.\root\cimv2' "
    When I searched for it, the same guy keeps posting a solution (verbatim) over and over, but I tried it and it didn't work.
    How can I get my firewall back and restore this WMI service? Thanks-
    Mike

If you look in Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services, is the Windows Management Instrumentation service marked as Started?

Go to Start | Run and type "wmimgmt.msc". Does that work? If so, right-click on the WMI Control (Local) item in the tree and click Properties. Does that connect without error?
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Stopping and restarting the service was something I messed with earlier...the main WMI service was running, and WMI extensions service was NOT running. I started it without a hitch. The computer is still saying it can't access the service (for viewing details in System Information). I'm going to reboot here...

Rebooted

Sorry, the wmimgmt program did work, it was just blank, of course. Or empty, I should say. Windows System Information still cannot access the WMI software. I am thinking of a re-install, but it's not going to save my 'settings' and have this same problem again, is it?

wmimgmt.msc is supposed to be blank; it's when you do the right-click | Properties bit that you can see stuff.

I'm not quite sure whether your symptoms are matching http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=5281 or not, but if you're getting any of the errors in there then I'd try that to start with.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Question

Thanks for the response.
    I had seen the link (or solution) before and went trough the steps, but didn't work. I tried it again for your sake and it still did not do the trick. The WMI service DID restart, but it still had not replaced the files in the repository I had deleted the time before.

Thumbs up Fixed

Well, I went ahead and repaired the installation. It went alright considering about 20 files were not able to be read off the disk (the CDROM drive is getting old, I think), but afterwards I was able to ping it! So I checked for it in My Network Places and all the shared folders popped up. System Information shows stuff. My WMI abides. Thanks, all.

Thread Information