Are these guys for real???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these guys for real???

Are these guys for real???

Now they want to throw people in prison for posting song lyrics on the 'net:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm

Mr Keiser said he did not just want to shut websites and impose fines, saying if authorities can "throw in some jail time I think we'll be a little more effective".
    Nick.

Maybe it's time for a world-wide class-action lawsuit against the Music Publishers' Association for making everyone's lives miserable over the last few years?

IMO That's just plain old 'arrogance' and the inability to adjust their product for a fast changing world. The whole recording/music industry has had it so good for so long, and now they can't adjust to the computer age. I have sympathy for the artists, but not for these 'arrogant' companies!

Lovely, why dont they make us take permission before posting ANY content online now...

Lovely, why dont they make us take permission before posting ANY content online now...
    Hold your breath. It may be closer than you think. I think plagiarism lawsuits will become popular shortly from people, like me, who copy/paste info wherever the need may be. It's all about the $$$$.
    Public airways? Public internet? All will be infringed upon.
    The music cops are but a stones throw away from putting me in the clink for singing Elvis songs at my Karaoke place. And for heaven's sake, don't get caught whistling someone else's tunes. Can mind police be far behind?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Grana
    Can mind police be far behind?
    They're already here....on college campuses (campi??) and in other politically-correct environs. They tell you what to think, after chastising you for thinking differently, then go out and light a candle for diversity. Look at the way Condoleezza Rice gets savaged by the pundits and the cartoonists who ceaselessly beat the drum of diversity; but that's OK, because she's "not black enough." The more I think about it, with Newspeak and all, I'd say 1984 came true right on time.

I agree with ALL of the above. I've looked up and copied guitar tabs for a long time. If you tried to find some of the old songs in sheet music form, you would look forever. Case in point; the other night I went looking for the Arlo Guthrie song "The City of New Orleans" I had no trouble finding it-on his webpage-complete with guitar tabs. Since Guthrie wrote it I guess he can post it on the net for download if he wants. That song was published in 1970, now run down to your local music store and buy it in sheet -you can't.
    The true test of character is not how much we
    know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do

The record and movie industries are the only once I know of that figures 40% of the world market is not big enough to deal with.

I was reading in the paperwhere it looks like 2.4 % of the teens like their parents music and listen to the old vinyl records and would like to get them on cd only to find the recordings are no longer available. And no prospect of getting them either.

LAZY bums.

Being a New England native, I'm sometimes glad that region is behind the rest of the country. During my last visit (2001) to Worcester MA where I used to live, I went to a hole-in-the-wall appliance repair shop across from Diamond Chevy on Park Ave.--bought three styluses for my turntable for $3 each, and a replacement amplifier tube also (90ยข or so, the dust was free). I should be set for another 20 years' worth of playing my LPs.

More seriously--the record industry is blowing off a huge market for the kids of us 50's, 60's and early 70's survivors by not updating the LP catalogs to CD. My kids all liked the music my wife and I have saved (and added to from garage sales) but can't find much of it on newer media. I'd bet that the figure is much higher than 2.4%, but what kid wants to admit to it? Then again, thirty years from now they'll remember CCR and the Moody Blues more than 50 Cent and Ice-T.

P.S. to jmtjet--I found my copy of Washington County by Arlo Guthrie after reading your post; got it playing right now. Good stuff.
    Last edited by lgbpop; December 11th, 2005 at 04:13 PM.

Nix is offline Aka: Nix*, NNiixx, Nix23
    CCR ??

I went and saw Ice-T who opened for Public Enemy.

Went with my brother and my Mum.

Saw Kiss in 1979 with my brother and my Dad.

Taking my 6 year old to see U2 in April next year.

But yes most of the 80s bands will be long forgotten. eg Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Devo, Ah Ha, Flock of Seagulls, Pet Shop Boys etc etc unless there's another synthesiser revival.
    Last edited by Nix; December 29th, 2005 at 01:08 AM.

CCR = Creedence Clearwater Revival

http://www.google.com/musica?aid=oNS8o7em-2C&oi=musicr

Great group but John Fogerty was CCR.
    With John Fogerty now firmly at the helm as guitarist, singer, songwriter and producer, Creedence took off with their neo-psychedelic reworking of Dale Hawkins' rockabilly classic "Suzie Q." From then on, the hits kept coming as the band churned out six albums of powerful, roots-oriented rock and roll between 1968 and 1970: "Creedence Clearwater Revival", "Bayou Country", "Green River", "Willie and the Poorboys", "Cosmo's Factory" and "Pendulum". Ten of Creedence's singles cracked the Top Ten during the period 1968-71.
    Nothing lasts forever except, maybe, Elvis.

That brings back memories of a misspent youth

CCR were a brilliant band
    Nick.

We should start a separate thread entitled "My first Concert was..." or something like that. My youth wasn't misspent at all--I got every vicarious, hazy minute's worth out of it.

My first concert was in Glasgow in the summer of 1966. We had traveled to Scotland to visit distant cousins and tour the country on vacation. I saw the Kinks at a place called Kelvin Hall. Had a good time for a 10-year-old kid.

Nix is offline Aka: Nix*, NNiixx, Nix23
    KISS 1979 - Sydney Australia - aged 12

Other concerts I've seen:

U2 - 7 times
    Prince
    Madonna
    Simple Minds
    Public Enemy / Ice-T
    INXS
    Midnight Oil
    Split Enz
    Crowded House
    Mental As Anything
    Noiseworks

The last 6 being Aussie / New Zealand bands some with over seas success.

There are probably others.
    Last edited by Nix; December 29th, 2005 at 07:09 PM.

Thread Information