[RESOLVED] Blue screen error message on bootup into Windows XP

Thread: [RESOLVED] Blue screen error message on bootup into Windows XP

Resolved [RESOLVED] Blue screen error message on bootup into Windows XP

Just upgraded new motherboard (ecs p4m800-m7, socket lga775 board)and cpu (pentium 4 630, 3.0 GHz w/ HT) from older Asus Tusi-M, socket 370/Celeron, 1GHz.

The install went well until Windows didn't start up. So, I tried to do a boot up from my Win XP Pro disc. Went into install, chose repair mode. After XP went thru the repair, the system booted up again and then goes into the dreaded BLUE SCREEN...because of conflict with the file, ipvnmon.sys

I've tried:
    --booting from Safe Mode
    --using Recovery Console
    --another repair install
    --booting from "last known good configuration"
    All of these with no success.

One person mentioned that removing ipvnmon.sys seemed to help their situation. This file is located in c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers. Is there a way to go in at system startup, go into DOS and remove the ipvnmon.sys file. I also read from another poster that by adding a different file extentions might get rid of the problem (for example, to ipvnmon.sys.xxx). Is there a way to change the file extension in DOS?

If there is a way, please give VERY detailed instructions on how to do it. I'm not even close to knowing anything about DOS.

Also, if there is any other suggestions for getting by this booting problem due to this file please let me know.

I've considered reinstalling a clean XP install, but I wanted to install into the same hard drive the original XP install was on.....and I get a message saying that it isn't suggested doing that and that I should install on another drive and that I should go to XP's website about multiple installs.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Here are the instructions for renaming your
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\ipvnmon.sys
    file to:
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\ipvnmon.sys.renamed
    Power your computer all the way Off. Wait a several seconds (15 to 30) and power it back On.

(If you have a BIOS password enabled, go ahead and type it in and press [Enter]).

Immediately start tapping the [F8] function key repeatedly. (Once every couple of seconds or so is fast enough).

If you did it right, your computer will stop at the following screen, (with white letters on a black background):
    Code:
    Windows Advanced Options Menu
    Please select an option:

Safe Mode
          Safe Mode with Networking
          Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
          Enable VGA Mode
          Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
          Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
          Debugging Mode
          Disable automatic restart on system failure

Start Windows Normally
          Reboot
          Return to OS Choices Menu

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
    Use your [Up] and [Down] arrow keys to select "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and press [Enter].

The next screen will look similar to the following, (again, with white letters on a black background):
    Code:

Please select the operating system to start:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
    Press ENTER to choose.

For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows, press F8.

Safe Mode with Command Prompt (<-- blue text)
    Using the [Up] and [Down] arrow keys, select "Microsoft Windows XP (either "Home" or "Professional") and press [Enter].

You're now going to see a whole slew of driver type files scrolling by as they are being loaded. It'll look similar to:
    Code:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\ACPI.SYS
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\isapnp.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\pciide.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\ ... (etc., etc., etc.) ...
    Eventually, (it can even take 15 to 20 minutes on some systems), you'll get to Windows' Safe Mode login screen. Logon as you normally would, and you'll land at a DOS prompt that will look similar to:
    C:\Documents and Settings\(user name)>
    At this DOS prompt, type the following DOS command and then press [Enter]:
    rename c:\windows\system32\drivers\ipvnmon.sys *.*.renamed
    Note that there is a space between "rename" and "c:" as well as between the ".sys" and the "*.*").

Now type
    exit
    (and press [Enter]) to return to the Windows Safe Mode screen.

Press [Ctrl-Alt-Del] to bring up the Windows Task Manager.

Using your mouse, select the "Shutdown" option (on the menu bar at the top) and then the "Restart" option.

Your computer should now reboot. (And hopefully the renamed "ipvnmon.sys" file will help solve your problem).

How do I proceed?

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr
    You're now going to see a whole slew of driver type files scrolling by as they are being loaded. It'll look similar to:
    Code:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\ACPI.SYS
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\isapnp.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\pciide.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\ ... (etc., etc., etc.) ...
    I can get to here and the whole slew of driver type files show up...but then it goes to briefly (for about 2 sec) to a blank sky blue screen (not the dreaded bright blue screen of death)...then it goes to the safe mode screen (black background/white letters) with 'Safe Mode' in all four corners. At the top of the screen it says 'Microsoft (R) Windows XP (R) (Build 2600)'. In the middle of the screen it has an error message box that says Windows XP setup cannot run under Safemode. Setup will restart now.

When, I hit the 'ok' button on the error message box....it takes me back to Startup (with BIOS check, memory check, drives, etc)....then it goes to the Windows XP startup screen (for about 5 secs.) then it stalls at the Blue Screen of death (with the ipvnmon.sys file being the culprit).

How do I proceed from here?

Do you happen to know if your hard drive's C: partition is formatted as FAT32 or NTFS?

Do you happen to know if your hard drive's C: partition is formatted as FAT32 or NTFS?
    It appears that hard drive C is formatted as FAT32. I believe C drive is where the Windows OS resides.

here's some more info if it helps.....this is what it says under "technical information" at the bottom of the 'blue screen of death' screen

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0X000000BE (OXF7444364, 0X09F2F123, 0XF789E138, 0X0000000B)
    *** IPVNMON.SYS - Address F78922F8 base at F787F000, Datestamp 3bd4228f

STOP 0X000000BE IPVNMON.SYS
    If you're running a Dell and/or the software package used for SBC Yahoo! DSL and dialup accounts, see the following:

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...sd&~mode=popup
    http://www.google.com/search?q=STOP+...n&lr=&filter=0

FAT32
    You might try booting the system from a Windows 98 SE boot diskette and renaming the IPVNMON.SYS file using the instructions above, (the line beginning with "rename"). Note that this rename command will work at any DOS prompt, ("A:\>" or "C:\Documents and Settings\(user name)>" or whatever else).

If you don't have a Windows 98 SE boot disk, you can download a program to create one for you from bootdisk.com (http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm)

Thanks

Thanks for all your help SpyWareDr!!!!

I finally got it to bypass the Blue Screen of Death error page....I went back into Recovery Console thru the XP disc bootup.

I entered "del c:\windows\system32\drivers\ipvnmon.sys"......and it worked!!!! YEAH!!!!

Thanks again

You're Welcome. Great to hear the problem's been solved!

Simular Issue with ipvnmon.sys driver

You're Welcome. Great to hear the problem's been solved!
    Hi Dr.

I have been at war with my computer for several days (it is winning)

I came across your thread from 12-28-2005 concerning a similar situation concerning the "windows\system32\drivers\ipvnmon.sys" driver.

Prior to my computer crashing I had updated some drivers and one of the driver packs was a beta. I suspected that was the problem but have not been able to resolve it.

Your previous thread linked the ipvnmon.sys driver to WinXP. I have Win 2000 with 2 hard drives & multi partitions. (Perhaps it was the wrong drivers in the pack)

When I boot up it goes to the windows loading screen but stops when the progress bar gets about halfway across.

When booting in the safe mode it locks up when it gets to this driver screen.
    "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\ipvnmon.sys". I tried using the safe mode with command prompt as you mentioned in the former thread but I still wind up at the same place. I cant seem to get past it.

The hard drive has both fat32 & FTSF partitions but the is on FTSF. I tried putting the drive in another machine in as a slave so I could access it but it would not recognize the the drive at all.

Is there a "magic bullet" I could use (on the computer)

Thanks,

Rick

Welcome to Virtualdr Rick..

It's best not to resurrect old and resolved threads to start a new question. Please start a new thread but feel free to create a link back to this one for reference if you feel it's necessary.

That way there will be no confusion dealing with your problem since it will have its own thread and ultimately make more sense and if you have the option to be notified if there's a reply to your question it will go to you rather than the person that started this thread.

I will lock this thread and then delete your above post once you create a new thread.

Thanks for understanding.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information