Uninstalling A Boot Manager

Thread: Uninstalling A Boot Manager

Hybrid View

Uninstalling A Boot Manager

How do you uninstall a boot manager? I have a hard drive that somebody installed a program called (GAG). It is a graphical boot manager that gives you an option of which hard drive to boot from. I would like to remove this from the hard drive that it is installed on. Any ideas? I don't see any uninstaller for this thing.

Have you looked around here:
    http://gag.sourceforge.net/
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

GAG is most commonly associated with Linux; I use it to boot (from a floppy) into either Ubuntu or Windows. It can also be mounted to a HDD, which seems to be what happened in your case. This site has instructions for making a GAG floppy, which has the uninstall option in it. Go to the section that starts with the following copy:

To configure your new GAG floppy

Begin with your new GAG floppy in the floppy drive and re-start your computer.

You will see a screen with five options on it. It is always good to start by reading the instructions, of course, and
    that uses up options 1,2, and3.
    The only remaining options after that are 4 (Install GAG), or 5 (Uninstall GAG).
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I will make a floppy per the instructions on the link and uninstall this.

If that DOESN'T work, (definately try the "uninstall" option first) you might try FDISK /MBR on that specific drive.

Rewriting the Master Boot Record may be all it takes to remove the boot manager... but I'd try the safer route first if it were me...
    Various Windows and Linux platforms...

Nix is offline Aka: Nix*, NNiixx, Nix23
    Botting to a command prompt and then typing fdisk /mbr would have been my first choice.

Which is why I suggested in the 10th post on your other thread http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d.php?t=198864 although it's good to get a second, third or fourth opinion.

Thread Information