Can't set up 2 writers

Thread: Can't set up 2 writers

Can't set up 2 writers

I'm really confused here. I'm running XP pro SP1. I had a CDRW and a DVDRW, both running on IDE1 on the same ribbon. They've worked fine for a couple of years. My CDRW started throwing write problems so I bought an new one.
    I did a simple swap cable for cable, but my bios didn't pick up the new drive.
    I've tried all sorts of variations. I can get either writer to run on their own, but when I connect both only one shows up.
    I replaced my ribbons, tried slaving one CD off the HDD. Whatever combination I can't get both writers to work at the same time.

I don't see how it can be a hardware fault, since both will work independantly.

Idea's anyone.

Have you checked the jumper settings on the drives? Master/Slave or set to CS..
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Steve, thankyou very much, isn't this just why we get together. I feel a bit of a plonker because that's so obvious - I should clearly build systems more often so I don't forget basic stuff. Havn't tried it yet but its just the right answer

Don't sweat the small stuff....

If it'll make you feel any better -> last Saturday I finally got around to swapping out cpu's in a pc I'm building mom for xmas. PC fired right up as expected. Shut down about ten minutes later. It smelled awful when I yanked the case off. I had forgotten to plug the heatsink fan in. Oh silly me....It's up and runnng aok now...
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thanks, I do feel better. That was really dumb ;-)

Thread Information