[RESOLVED] Canon Scanner

Thread: [RESOLVED] Canon Scanner

Resolved [RESOLVED] Canon Scanner

I'm slowly recovering from a system crash, working on areas as I need then. As part of the recovery I've upgraded the OS from W2K to XP.

As a result of either the upgrade or the crash my scanner has quit. The scanner is a stand-alone Canon N1240U. I can hear the scanner react to the boot-up sequence, but I'm unable to scan. I'm pretty sure it needs a driver suitable for XP. Therein lies my question.

I have the driver, CanoScan_N1240U_v7010.exe. As part of the install process I must delete the old W2K driver, using the Canon program DELDRV_v12062.exe. When I run the delete program I get a message, something to the effect, "Can't find suitable Java Virtual Machine on your system. See Download at java.sun.com."

That's the point at which I get lost and totally confused. I don't know how to proceed.

I run Firefox 20.x as my browser. I have IE 6.0.2900, though I almost never use it. I have JRE6, JRE 1.3.1_02, and I've found a javaRa 1.16 Removal log.

So, I'm totally confused, and need somebody to lead me by the hand through this forest. I've undoubtedly left out some critical information, so ask away. I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

If you have system problems, doing an upgrade probably won't fix them. I'm assuming you upgraded to XP SP3 and did all windows updates.

I have JRE6, JRE 1.3.1_02, and I've found a javaRa 1.16 Removal log.
    I would remove all Java and then update to the latest version of Java 6 (currently update 45)
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    If you have system problems, doing an upgrade probably won't fix them. I'm assuming you upgraded to XP SP3 and did all windows updates.

I would remove all Java and then update to the latest version of Java 6 (currently update 45)
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html
    Yes, I'm running XP/MCE sp3, and all Windows updates are current, to the best of my knowledge. I believe that the system crash was due to something I did rather than to system problems.

I may be making some progress, though only slight. I've downloaded and run jre-6u45-windows-i586-iftw.exe. It tells me that I have successfully installed Java. When I run CanoScan_N1240U_v7010.exe, my system tells me that I must get rid of the old Canon driver. I then run CanoScan_Deldrv_12062.exe toget rid of the driver, and my system becomes non-responsive. I get a message saying "Try re-installing Java VM or change the Java VM used by this application." I think that's a pretty close quote.

Something is keeping me from going further. I'm not sure whether it's a bad Java download, or CanoScan unable to delete the previous driver. I think the sequence in the previous paragraph is right, but at this point I'm not even sure of that.

Did you remove the device from Device Manager first? Make sure the device is not connected too.

Did you remove any related Canon software from Add/Remove Programs? I would use Revo Uninstaller, if you haven't removed anything yet. The freeware version should do the trick.
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html

Things like that can happen when you do an upgrade. That's why I prefer clean installs.

Definite progress this morning. The scanner is working. That's the good news. The bad news is that it's running under it's original software, PhotoStudio 4.1.2c. The current version is PhotoStudio 7.0.1.0.

I believe that I'd have to delete the old software and driver in order to install the current stuff. There-in lies the decision. It's that deletion and installation which has caused this whole thread. I have no major complaints with the old software. I'm just thinking that the newer software must be better. Is it worth the effort and possible danger to upgrade the software and driver, or would it be better to follow the principal, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."?

BTW, switching to XP wasn't an upgrade in the normal sense of the word. This has been a dual-boot system for some time. I simply, somehow, hosed W2K, which finally forced me to switch to XP. HERE is the thread about setting up that dual boot. Now that was a battle, a battle for which I received excellent help.

It's your call. You could always make a backup first.

Resolved

I'll have to think about it. I have the original installation disk, so that would be no problem. The urgency is gone, so I'll move on to a more immediate job-- the water heater.

I thank you for your help on this. Let's consider it resolved for the time being.

You can mark it Resolved under Thread Tools at the top.
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    LG W2241T Widescreen 22" LCD
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive
    Maxtor 120 Gig Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
    Gateway NV5378-U Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Acer Aspire V3-731 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Thank you. I was wondering how to do that.

Yer welcome.
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    LG W2241T Widescreen 22" LCD
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive