Visual C++ won't stop a build

Thread: Visual C++ won't stop a build

Visual C++ won't stop a build

I am running Win2000 which I installed on top of Win98se. Visual C++ has been working fine, but now when running a "build" it encountered a fatal error (a coding error) and presented the errors in the error window. I corrected the errors, but discovered that I cannot rebuild because the system thinks is is still building. Rather than the "build" toolbar button there is the "stop build" button and it does not do anything. The keyboard for stopping the build is <Control><Break> and that also does not stop it. I cannot close the workspace and I cannot terminate VC++ because it tells me that I must stop the build first. Which, of course, I can't do.

When I get to task manager there are a whole bunch of things running, and I can't tell which ones are VC++. (There's two iterations of RUNDLL32.EXE also. Is that kosher?)

Can anyone tell me how to get out of this mess?

The process name for Visual Studio is "DevEnv.exe". I assume that it's the same for Visual C++. If all else fails end process on that one. Or see if VC is listed in the Applications tab and End Task on it there.
    Nick.

Actually I found Msdev.exe running and ending it did the trick. Thanks for the lead. I wasn't sure it would be a single process.

Is two iterations of RUNDLL32.exe proper?

Also, it seems that this has now become a chronic condition. Every time a build fails I have to terminate VC++ (actually MSDEV) abnormally to get the build to reset. If you've programmed in VC++ You'll know that the build failing is not a rare event, so I'd really like to fix this puppy if possible.

This might actually be better in the VC forum, but I started here so...

Thread Information