Need for address book function like Netscape 4.8

Thread: Need for address book function like Netscape 4.8

Lightbulb Need for address book function like Netscape 4.8

I need advice on which of the new(er) EMail products has an address book function like Netscape 4.8 (and earlier versions of Netscape).

I have a large number of EMail addresses stored in the address book. I have them sorted by groups, some with maybe 10 or 20 addresses each. With Netscape 4.8, I have the option of composing an EMail to an entire group, or I can open the group, look at the names in that group only, and select one or two or as many of these EMail addresses as are needed, when composing the EMail.

This makes composing these EMails fast and convenient.

Many of the new products I've tried do not allow this. We either have to send the message to the entire group, or close the group list and look through the entire address book of hundreds of names to maybe find one or two addresses for the new EMail. The individual addresses can't be selected from within a group.

Netscape 4.8 (and earlier versions) work fine with this - - I am looking for a new mail program that will do the same function. Just let me select one individual EMail address from within a group list so I can manage this without have to look through hundreds of names.

Thanks. Tom-N5GAR

Tom,

Have you checked out Outlook 2003? I have been using Outlook Express, but I just went and looked at Outlook 2003 and it is a whole lot more flexible than OE?

I looked and did not find exactly the capability that is in Netscape 4.8 but I think by using groups and sub-groups that you may be able to solve your problem.

Hopefully, other posters here at VDR can provide additional insight as to the best way to meet your requirements.

Cheers,

Linda

Last edited by LindaHewitt; November 29th, 2005 at 10:45 AM.

Tom,

You might want to check out the Mozilla Thunderbird email client.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Here is a link to Thunderbird Help - Tutorials - Managing Thunderbird Mail Accounts.

http://mozilla.gunnars.net/thunderbird_mail_setup.html

Linda

Last edited by LindaHewitt; November 29th, 2005 at 03:31 PM.

Lightbulb

Another work-around for this might be an EMail compose screen that will let me display the address book by an attribute (such as a word like "other" put in an "other" column or "organization" column) so I can see just the address entries that are associated with that attribute, while composing. Or alternatively just to display the entire compose-address list in order by the attribute. Is there something available that will let me compose a message while ordering the address book this way?

I just checked Thunderbird, and apparently it will allow entry of "other" information on an EMail record but won't let me see it or sort by it while composing. Maybe I need to look at this further - - I am an absolute beginner with Thunderbird.

(Actually I'm surprised to lose important functions involving EMail composing in the more recent broswers, that Netscape 3 and 4 have had for years.)

Regards, TOM

Thread Information