What is the maximum storage capacity of inbox in outlook express

Thread: What is the maximum storage capacity of inbox in outlook express

What is the maximum storage capacity of inbox in outlook express

Hai Friends,

I want to know what is the maximum storage capacity of a inbox in outlook express 6. And if the inbox gets filled with mail how to store the new mails which are yet to download the mails from the server to the inbox without deleting the old mails. Please help me in this issue.

Regards

Gopal

To be safe, create a new folder and drag a bunch of mail out of the inbox to the new folder.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Information about the maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used by Outlook Express

MORE INFORMATION
    The maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used by Outlook Express is 2 gigabytes (GB).
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

The 2 GB is really a delusion. I have had OE shut down on me when my Inbox contained only 600 MB. For the life of me I do not know how OE calculates this but the best rule of thumb that I have found is the limit should not exceed 2,000 email messages.

As Steve Jones, said create a series of new sub-folders under your Inbox folder and your Sent folder. Each folder is supposed to have this 2 GB limit. My recommendation is to create a new-sub folder, any time the maximum number of messages is in the range of 2,000.

This will save you a tremendous amount of work.

One other warning:

The error messages produced by OE are erroneous. For instance, I was getting messages that I was running out of hard drive space but I knew that couldn't be so, because I had 20 GB of free space. So I ignored the message. Bad mistake. Any error message that doesn't make sense, post a message about it at VDR.

The end result was that OE shut down that Inbox and created another. This is known as a corrupted Inbox and I currently do not have access to any of those email messages. Eventually, when I get time, I will attempt to restore that Inbox and create all of the necessary sub-folders.

Need to do housekeeping weekly or at least monthly to delete all of non-substantive email messages from vendors and distribution lists or set up a separate folder(s) to put them into.

Cheers,

Linda

Linda and Steve--thanks for the very helpful info. I wonder if the 2GB limit is for all .dbx files combined or for any individual .dbx file.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

It is a 2 GB maximum for every folder; i.e., dbx file. In other words, no more than 2000 email messages per folder.

Linda

Instead of the default folder, I have mine set to store mail in a folder I created on another partition. If mine gets fairly full,all I get, is when I open the browser a box will pop up asking if I'd like OE to compact my messages. Click yes and it will do just that...
    Stupid question? No such thing!
    Virtual Dr. to the rescue!
    Just ask. Bookmark your post for easy reference.
    ==================================

Thread Information