weird problem - monitor turns off - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: weird problem - monitor turns off

Also, just because the power circuit was wired by a "professional" doesn't mean it was wired correctly.

I have a similar problem with my monitor:
    when i turn on my computer everything is alright, but after ~30min if I want to start a game or somthing that needs loading my monitor turns off. Green light turns off (it only green or black, no orange).but it is theoretically on, because when i push it I turn off my monitor. Then I push on button again, it lights green and after 2 seconds it turns off. Monitor don't show any picture. I need to push the button again and again to turn on my monitor. If I used computer not long monitor turns on after few pushes, but if I used it for a few hours the pushing becomes useless. Once I was pusshing the on button for 50 min but it did't turn on. What is the problem?

But i tested it on another PC which is 2 weeks old and with another cabel, but the problem is still the same. I think its problem with my monitor :/

Ernestas, from your description it's quite likely the monitor has faulty electrolytic capacitors in its power supply. If so, it may not be a difficult thing to repair technically, but depending on the monitor, the cost of a professional repair might not seem attractive in comparison with a replacement monitor.
    Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Okay so far so bad

I see that you all are having a simular issue to my own. Let me first explain my issue really fast and what I have done so far, so that way you dont waste your time lol since I have already.

Problem: Computer will log on normaly, from time to time I am able to make it to the desktop before im shut off on the monitor. Sometimes I wont even see the Win Xp logo.

Software: I have so far tried to re-format the old drive, before the drive could be considered anywhere near complete the monitor shuts down.

I tried one time (F8) and choose Last known good config.

It went to desktop and was working for about 3 hours, I thought it might have been a Virus, lets face it, today there are alot!

I shut down because its bed time, gotta get to work the next day.

AM comes around, do my usual wake and shake, while PC boots up!

Come back and its the same problem (Thats when I decided to reformat), now at this point im angry, thoughts of putting my foot through this thing crossed my mind a few times.

Abviously re-fromat did not work, okay!

Hardware: First I thought to swap HD since it may be something other then virus, it could be the drive with a bad sector or it really could be a messed up virus working as it should.

So I placed in a new HD that I know to work, already had Win XP pre-installed and swaped. Trun on and same issue.

Now I know in my mind whats next, which should have been the first thing I tried!

The Graphics card! YAY!

Okay, its onboard, it sucks anyways so I could care less if it went out. Well its my mothers PC for that matter, she loves it so much she actualy got depressed when this happened LOL so natualy I lend my hand.

Anyways I bring over to her house a 512ddr2 graph card that I had lying around from older PC, knowing it works I installed it!

Booted right up! HOLLA!? No.....maybe not.....

Get into desktop, things loooking..........wait it crashed again! lol

Okay, its not the HD or the Graph Card, its not a virus....now what?

Only other things I could think of to try next.

1) PC Chip set (Would suck if it was)
    2) Mother Board! (WOOT!?) no.....(F&%K!)
    3) Power Supply (Possible that its on its way out, not letting enough power in tricks your monitor in thinking its in power saver mode or that your PC is really off)
    4) Buy a new PC!

Now if its option 4 then someone here link me somewhere SUPER CHEAP for older PCs, my mom is not a gammer like me so she does not need alot!

What she needs?

No less then 2ghz
    1gig mem (ddr or not)
    128mb graph (Ext or Onboard dont make a difference)
    I have a 6.1 Audio card for her already installed on old PC I can swap.....hell ill take that out just incase its faulty and causing her PC to shut off.

for the record! This is an eMachines PC, dudes.....not a dell!

Mines Acer, I love it and take it over all the others ;{} I call tech support and can understand clear speaking tech voices (for now) then I quit PC's all together.

greg69jones2003 -

It looks like that is an eMachine you are having trouble with. If that is the case, check the sticker on the power supply. If it says Bestec and the PC is still bootable occasionally, then it is time to stop using the PC until you have replaced the power supply. A 430W ThermalTake from NewEgg should cost about $40 + Shipping.

What next?

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    greg69jones2003 -

It looks like that is an eMachine you are having trouble with. If that is the case, check the sticker on the power supply. If it says Bestec and the PC is still bootable occasionally, then it is time to stop using the PC until you have replaced the power supply. A 430W ThermalTake from NewEgg should cost about $40 + Shipping.

Yes, I was going to head to CompUSA today after work and pick up a cheap one, just to see if thats the issue before I spend more then I need to on something that might not be the problem.

Let's say I replace! Still the same problem, knowing that all I have NOT replaced so far was the Chip set, mother board and cables (Which i doubt its cables) what are some other issues?

I swaped out with an older stick of ram from another PC thats the same type needed for her's, now I know thats not the issue unless of a faulty dimm, but I put it on both and same issue, doubt they would all go out same time like that.

Any other suggestions as to what I should try? Ide hate to buy her a new PC if its a simple cheap fix, mainly because I just dont have the money right now LOL

No good

greg69jones2003 -

I changed out the Power Supply, made no difference!

At this point I am beyond lost, what we know its not!

Monitor
    Power Supply
    Ram
    Graphics Card
    Sound Card
    Hard Drive
    Cables are in good shape, everything is hooked up correctly

Guys help! lol what else could it be? Is the only two options the Motherboard and/or chip set?

If you tried a known good (NOT Bestec) power supply, then the Bestec has likely fried the motherboard. The only other possibility that comes to mind is bad capacitors on the motherboard.

Okay

If you tried a known good (NOT Bestec) power supply, then the Bestec has likely fried the motherboard. The only other possibility that comes to mind is bad capacitors on the motherboard.

I took out the power supply, its Bestek, those bastards! lol

Okay I replaced with a different power supply and as I said before no different.

Now, I have taken out the motherboard and tried to check out the capacitors you speak of, now there are roughly 20 lets say.

Though the most of them are identical some of them are a little different, some of them, ide say around 5-7 have the top of the cap bowed upwards and has a little white.....something comming out of it.

I never knew what these things were (Never went that far with PCs but now glad I talked to you because im loving learning here lol) these would be the bad ones you speak of?

If so its possible to replace? Or would it just be best to replace the board with the now new Power supply?

if you think they can be replaced easily then where would I buy them, and how would I determine which ones to get?

Oh, and her PC does not have the info on the motherbaord, and looking at the board I cant see anything that tells me what type it is, how would I go about finding this out so I dont end up with a board that dont fit or work with her current stuff?

Also LOL gotta get it out now so I dont forget later!

Should I replace the Mobo when I hook everything back up to the board will I have to reload drivers into the PC? If so will it even let me to windows to use the disc? I have nto done this before SO i wanna make sure I do it right the first time.
    Last edited by greg69jones2003; May 19th, 2009 at 02:20 PM.

If the power supply was a Bestec, then both the motherboard and power supply are fried. You will need to replace both. You may have trouble finding a replacement motherboard that can use the existing CPU and memory, so you may have to replace those as well.

Power Supply - $40
    Motherboard - $55
    Memory - $25
    CPU - $65
    Total = $185 + shipping

New PC - $300

Issue found, fix not worth it

Also, just because the power circuit was wired by a "professional" doesn't mean it was wired correctly.

Okay people! After alot of research online I found out the issues witht his!

If your PC is turning on, it shuts its selff off as if going into a perm sleep mode there are few issues!

1) Power Supply could be bad, if it is replace ASAP or it can burn out you MB and nearly every other component on your PC!

2) Capacitors! (This is what my issue was) check them all over your MB! They are (in most cases) little black tubes with a smooth top.

Should the sides be bowed outwards or the top thats supposed to be flat are now bowed up as well or gunk is comming out of any part, thats a blown capacitor.

On my mothers PC she had 13 bad capacitors, also someone said that bestek (the power supply company) was a peice of garbage that Emachines and few other companies (usualy the cheaper PC companies) use.

This power supply on many forums across the Internet have proven time and time again that this brands power supplies often cause as surge before it dies (Its been known to die within 6 months of a barnd new purchase) causing your MB, Grap card and alot of other components to burn out, in my case it was the capacitors.

I urge you to look at your PC right away, if your supply is from Bestek get your asses to CompUSA or Bestbuy and grab a new one fast or your PC could be completly shoot from it.

In my mothers case, the Power supply burnt out, 13 capacitors were caused, the MB was shoot and the HD was destroyed! Basicly....a new PC was needed!

I wrote to Bestek in regardes to the issue, they only say over and over

"Dear customer, we are sorry that your personal computer has failed on you, at this time our records show our AC Power supplies to be without flaw. Your PC may have surged back the power supply (Doubt it since the PC dont have power, the power supply does(Then again I could be wrong) or your AC outlet my have caused a spike within the Power supply causing your PC to burn out.

We regret to inform you that at this time no payment can nor will be made for the loss of your PC. please see our customer satisfaction page if you should have any other questions.

Thank you"

Well there ya go! if ya got it, loose it ASAP and ask your PC manufacture to replace the drive as its most likly a lemon!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSparks View Post
    Yes indeed, those are clearly leaking capactitors. That is almost certainly the cause of your problems.
    My sister's PC has the same problem now. Can you tell me please what could caused the leaking capacitors? Is it temperature, voltage or the other problem perhaps?

Defective manufacturing.
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    LG W2241T Widescreen 22" LCD
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive
    Maxtor 120 Gig Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
    Gateway NV5378-U Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Acer Aspire V3-731 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

The electrolytic capacitors used in many older motherboards were not manufactured to a quality level sufficient for the intended application. Many of today's higher quality motherboards use solid capacitors that do not have potential leakage problems.

Thread Information