S;ow start up (not sure if this is the correct area)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S;ow start up (not sure if this is the correct area)

Question S;ow start up (not sure if this is the correct area)

Help! My computer is losing to the can of molasses my neighbor is pouring down the street. What can I do to speed it up?

I have a DELL XPS 400 XP
    Thanks

For disk cleanup I use TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files...r-by-oldtimer/

"TFC only cleans temp folders. TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail. TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC. "

Do not be surprised if it find GBs of stuff to remove.

How long since XP was installed? XP is well known for getting slower and slower over time, and after a couple of years biting the bullet and doing a clean install is the only real answer for a long-term solution
    Nick.

I have found with XP, 3 years is upper limit before a clean install is the best answer for me.

Clean Install wow

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    I have found with XP, 3 years is upper limit before a clean install is the best answer for me.
    It is going on 4 years and the warranty just gave out last year. Now when you say clean install are you talking return to factory settings? Deleting all I have? Making this 1 terrabyte external full up more?

Okay I await your horrible news. Just to let you know last year before it expired I had to do the restore to factory settings and in the process lost the internal faxing that I paid extra to have installed. When I told them they informed me its a "software" issue therefore I would have to pay to get it reinstalled because the drivers they told me to download didnt help it to work so am I going to go through that all over again with having to go to Dells web site for the downloading of the the updated drivers for everything in this stupid piece of junk guys?

Train is TFC compatible with Windows 7 64 bit?
    squid13

Yes it is compatible.

Now, when you download those items from Dell, burn them to a cd against future need.

I have all the Service Packs and drivers I need for this computer burned to cd so I can do a complete install of everything including my antivirus before I hit the internet.
    Update AV and then I am ready to get the updates.

Thank You Train
    squid13

Red face This is confusing me sorry

Yes it is compatible.

Now, when you download those items from Dell, burn them to a cd against future need.

I have all the Service Packs and drivers I need for this computer burned to cd so I can do a complete install of everything including my antivirus before I hit the internet.
    Update AV and then I am ready to get the updates.
    Are you telling me you have a DELL and this is what you do or are you telling me to download what you are giving me in which case there is nothing here for me to download?
    Thanks Train

Question Off the wall question please.....

While clicking send to Microsoft the error messages that keep popping up it takes me to MS website which tells me to download something called Windows Defender. Now should I use it if I already get free Norton full suite with my internet carrier as well as use the Malewarebytes program?
    Thanks

I have a custom/home built computers, but my clients have store bought ones from different manufacturers.

I go to the makers website and get the various drivers needed for each machine. If they work, given I use my computer to down load them and use a USB drive to transfer them, when that rig is running fine, I burn all the drivers to a cd. That way I do not have to go digging for them again for that one computer. Yes, clients have been known to bring things back a few times and a clean install was needed.

Question hat do you suggest I do then

I have a custom/home built computers, but my clients have store bought ones from different manufacturers.

I go to the makers website and get the various drivers needed for each machine. If they work, given I use my computer to down load them and use a USB drive to transfer them, when that rig is running fine, I burn all the drivers to a cd. That way I do not have to go digging for them again for that one computer. Yes, clients have been known to bring things back a few times and a clean install was needed.
    I have backed up all I need onto the external. The only concern I have is my networked internet from Comcast Cable. If I reboot to factory settings then will I have to have Comcast come back here and reset up the IP address or what ever it is called for all the computers since this is the computer the modem and router from Comcast is set up to.

Also if you tell me my reinstalling it wont affect and the network then should I put all the drivers I can find from DELL's site onto a jump drive then when my daughter's computer is fixed hopefully this fri when the HP tech comes have her burn the drivers onto a cd? I do have the recovery disks for this computer btw.

Well recovery disk would have the drivers, not used to dealing with them Sorry.

I cheated clear back when it was @Home and still run a router with Comcast. I can hook up any computer to my network and it can go online with no need of techs. Fact is I hook up the new computer to the modem, reset the modem, a little button on the back, and when it is up, the computer can hit the internet.

Now if you have the modem with the telephone setup and battery, Unhook the phone and then hit the reset button, when up hook up the phone and the computer is ready to hit the internet.

I ain't paying them folks to do it.

Exclamation

Well recovery disk would have the drivers, not used to dealing with them Sorry.

I cheated clear back when it was @Home and still run a router with Comcast. I can hook up any computer to my network and it can go online with no need of techs. Fact is I hook up the new computer to the modem, reset the modem, a little button on the back, and when it is up, the computer can hit the internet.

Now if you have the modem with the telephone setup and battery, Unhook the phone and then hit the reset button, when up hook up the phone and the computer is ready to hit the internet.

I ain't paying them folks to do it.
    TFF..anyway I looked at the modem and it is a Aris and has a battery but no reset button that I can see. I do not have phone hooked to it just the internet. Hey do you live in Florida by chance so I can get you here

Now are you saying I can reset this computer to factory settings and not have problems coming back online after it is finished either with this computer or for the other 2 computers? And..are you saying that is the way to go at this time? If so then I wont need the msi thingy since I will be wiping the computer clean and reinstalling the cd's.

Lastly what about the Windows Defender questions I asked did you have a chance to look back at them?

Ain't been in Tampa in 6 or 7 years. And that was a 4 day drive one way.

Now which Aris model do you have?

Now that button in a little hole and hard to find.

If you have 2 more computers using the same modem at the same time, then there is router somewhere in there. And your computer is wired to it. Right?
    If wired then the router gives a ip addy to the computer and off you go.

Windows Defender - I let it install figuring I can use all the help I can get. A few folks do not like it, just so you know about that. I do.

Thread Information