[RESOLVED] Lost Wireless Network Connection icon

Thread: [RESOLVED] Lost Wireless Network Connection icon

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Lost Wireless Network Connection icon

On a home laptop it seems that I have lost the Wireless Network Connection icon from the Network Connections tab. Any ideas how I can get this recreated to get my wireless working again? Thx in advance.

Hi Copo
    If you open network connections in the control panel and select the properties of the wireless connection there should be a box to tick which says show icon in notification area when connected.The missing icon will not stop the connection working so are you having wireless problems or is it just the missing icon your worried about?

There is no wireless network connection to do a properties on, in the Lan or High-Speed Internet list of icons. Tried to do a restore and no go.

Ah right gotcha.........
    What wireless device are you using i.e. internal mini PCI,usb,PCMCIA and whats the make and model?
    Have you checked device manager for any errors?
    If your running XP/2K have a look in the event viewer via admin tools for any recent errors and post the error codes.

The PC doesn't recognize any wireless. I have a linksys wireless router at home and the PC is my GF's. She had to take a RJ45 cable to connect to the University's Lan before teaching her class. It's like the PC dropped the wireless software from XP. She's going to take it to the Tech guys since it's the Univ laptop and the fixes are at no charge....thx anyways. I thought this would have been an easy fix. I had no trouble adding a conneciton so it would see the router at home a month ago. It's worked for a month. Maybe when she downloaded MSN it screwed something up. That's the only mod to the laptop so far.

Make sure that the actual wireless on off button is turned on. It is usually a button in the front of the laptop on the right hand side that has to be pushed in before the blue wireless connection light will come on. I had the same thing on a laptop that I had and all I had to do was push the little button in to turn the wireless on. It could be that simple. Look at number 10 on this diagram. HP Compaq nx9010 Laptop in pdf

EDited the url so it work.Train

SOLVED!

Quote Originally Posted by COPO View Post
    On a home laptop it seems that I have lost the Wireless Network Connection icon from the Network Connections tab. Any ideas how I can get this recreated to get my wireless working again? Thx in advance.

Got em back! this is what i did...

RUN services.msc

Under NAME scroll down to Windows firewall/Internet Connection sharing(ICS)
    double click on it.

On GENERALl tab make sure program is Started if not Start it
    check LOG tab scroll to the bottom and make sure Profile is ENABLED.

Now check your network connections your ICONS should be there
    along with ur desktop connection ICON.

It may not appear immediatly wait a few mins check again

No need to restart.

Hope this helps!

*If u believe it will happen; then it will!*

Thread Information