Spyware problems: Internet Explorer

Thread: Spyware problems: Internet Explorer

Unhappy Spyware problems: Internet Explorer

I have some kind of spyware on my internet explorer 6 (windows 2000). it opens up multiple windows of shopping deals etc whenever there is a connection present. I have tried to uninstall internet explorer and reinstall but this has caused more damage. Now i cannot use my add/remove program button (if i click on it nothing happens), various dll exceptions show up when i boot the machine and if i want to open links from one window to another it doesn't happen.

have run Microsft Anti Spyware, Spybot, ad-Aware and Ewido on the machine but apart from finding a few spyware evertime they havn't helped.

Please help.

sg.

Have you checked for viruses?

TEk

Do a full Antivirus scan, here are three good online scanners if you need them or want a second opinion:

Housecall

Panda Online scan

eTrust Web Scanner

Then run these three spyware removal programs, after updating the definitions:

Spybot S & D

Adaware

Microsoft Windows Antispyware

If you are still experiencing problems after that, unzip this program into its own permanent folder, then run it and post the logfile in our Hijack This Logfile forum here:

Hijack This

Virtual Dr Hijack This Forum

Please read these instructions before posting logfiles:

Rules for Hijack This Log Forum
    Nick.

i tried the trend housecall scanner, and then ran ad-aware, spybot etc again and they all came up clean. have also posted the hijack this log on the forum but no one has suggestions!

the one thing that may be something is the 'hosts' file thing- which shows up with a lot of strange urls. can't seem to be able to delete or alter the file either. maybe it has some connection.

sg.

in response to whther i've checked for viruses - yes. been there done that
    Last edited by skinnyghosh; November 11th, 2005 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyghosh
    the one thing that may be something is the 'hosts' file thing- which shows up with a lot of strange urls. can't seem to be able to delete or alter the file either. maybe it has some connection.

sg.

Almost certainly there is a connection. There shouldn't be strange URLL's in the Hosts file, and ytou should have no difficulty in editing it either. Be patient with the HJT log, they can take a long time to decipher, and we have a limited number of experts, but they'll get to you eventually.
    Nick.

Thread Information