Spe.atdmt.com

Thread: Spe.atdmt.com

Spe.atdmt.com

For the last several days I have been getting a box that says that Macromedia Flash player has stopped a potentially unsafe operation. It continues that a local application is trying to communicate with spe.atdmt.com. Have run Lavasoft, updated Norton and run it, updated Spybot and run it and it still keeps appearing.

Any idea what it is and how I can keep it from appearing?? The only new program I installed was Sidestep, and I uninstalled it today and the box still pops up whenever I check mail on AOL. Using Windows XP.

It looks like an ad server. So some program is trying to download an ad from that site.

First try putting spe.atdmt.com in restricted sites in internet options/security in your browser and if that doesn't help put

127.0.0.1 spe.atdmt.com
    into your hosts file... do a file search for "hosts" (not hosts.sam, just hosts) and open it with notepad and enter the line above into it, save and close.

I'm not sure why Flashplayer is giving you that message though.... are you sure it's actually that program that's detecting the attempted communication?

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

That is what the box says" Macromedia Flash Player has stopped a potentially unsafe operation." It then goes on to say that a local application is trying to communicate with spe.atdmt.com. The first part of the message box says this:
    mad:\\CB682909-3ACB40A7-BFD1-245469C8C377\default.html.

BTW, I am dumb as a stump about computers. Also, adding the spe.atdmt.com to restricted sites in IE did not work. I use AOL as ISP,altho they use IE, right??? I have no idea how to do the other thing (reference dumb as stump remark earlier)

One more thing, it only comes up when I access AOL mailbox

It looks like putting the 127.0.0.1 spe.atdmt.com did the trick. Thanks so much for your help.

Cool http://spe.atdmt.com/

I have no idea where host files are. Could you give me a clue? Thanks.

There is only one active hosts file in any operating system.

If you do a file search for "hosts" (without the quotes). Not hosts.sam or anything else with hosts in it.. just hosts.

You'll find it in these locations, depending on which operating system you use...

Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts

Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Windows XP Home c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Here are some more details on what it is and how to use it..

http://accs-net.com/hosts/how_to_use_hosts.html

I have several hosts that come up when I search. hosts.sbs, hostsvr.dll, hosts.sam, webhostserv.tfs and several others.

Thanks

It's just hosts with no extension. Did you have a look in the path shown above that's applicable for your operating system?

I dont recall it being a hidden windows file but go into windows explorer and click tools>folder options> view> show hidden files and folders.

I have 3 "hosts" without file extensions. I went through and followed the steps. I'll let you know if I get the message again. Thanks so very much!

I am having the same problem and have not been successful at fixing it. I printed out all the pages from the thread and tried but without success. I to am dumb when it comes to the computer. Only smart when it works. I searched hosts, found many folders with Windows XP home c:\windows\system 32, etc. and then didn't know what to do from there. I went to find a place to type in problem and couldn't find any place to put it. I hope someone can help me. Thanks, Diana

Welcome to Virtualdr. Have a look at these two pictures I attached. The first shows the search function finding the hosts file (grey hilited) and then double clicked to show the "open with" window with notepad grey hilited). Open the hosts file with notepad and it will look like the second pic with 127.0.0.1 spe.atdmt.com added to it.

If your hosts file already has some other 127.0.0.1 xxxxxx
    entries just put the new one at the bottom of the list.

Thread Information