Computer Problems

Thread: Computer Problems

Computer Problems

I have Windows XP home edition on a gigabyte DDR 266 system. With 1 gig of RAM. About a month ago we (the whole town) had a brown out and then a black out. Ever since then I have had no video on my system. I have replaced the video card, that didn't change anything. I have replaced the monitor that didn't change anything. When I turn on my system, I get nothing ... no beeps ... no video. I can't reset the bios from software since I can't see any image on the screen. I need help!!!!! I tried to look up how to reset the bios on the motherboard, but I can't seem to locate the right motherboard manual. I have tried to look it up online and there seems to be many DDR 266 gigabyte systems but none that looks like mine. I don't want to buy a new motherboard unless I have to. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Does the PSU run? Do the CPU/case fan(s) spin? Does the hard drive show signs of life?

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

There should be a jumper on the motherboard to do clear the CMOS, it is usually marked something like "CLR-CMOS". If there isn't or you can't find it then pulling the motherboard battery out for a few minutes will achieve the same result.

Thew mobo battery looks like this:

Nick.

The fans run ... the HD spins up ... but no video. Its' hard to tell what else is going on if you can't see it. NO FIRST BEEPS either.

Computer problems

I unplugged the battery ... waited a few minutes and reinstalled the battery. Rebooted the machine and it went into the BIOS startup. It said that my battery was low and that I should reset the CMOS. So I went into CMOS setup and reset everything and saved it all and exited. And then it went back to black screen. NO BOOT

Do I Need A New Battery???

Yes, they're very cheap, and it's always worth changing it if there's any suspicion that it's gone flat.
    Nick.

Frustration

Changing the battery didn't help me!!!! Once in a while but not without being able to repeat it, I am able to go to CMOS setup via the software. The computer boots to the BIOS page. It asks me to save the BIOS settings and then I get a blank screen. This is so frustrating.

It's starting to sound as if you got some hardware damage in that blackout then

Try disconnecting everything except the CPU, RAM and graphics card, and then try to boot the PC. If you can get it to start up OK, start adding the other components back in one by one (disconnecting the power each time of course) and you should be able to identify what is causing the problem.
    Nick.

Thread Information