Dell Dimension 4600 won't power up {Resolved} - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dell Dimension 4600 won't power up {Resolved}

Remove the pci dial up card. Nothing new about lightning killing them thus causing what you see happening.

No problem at all with testing the power switch; just follow the wires from the switch to the motherboard, pull them straight away from the board, then momentarily short the two switch pins with a jeweller's or similar small screwdriver.

Quote Originally Posted by Train
    Remove the pci dial up card. Nothing new about lightning killing them thus causing what you see happening.
    It has a dialup card but I believe they use broadband. Even still I pulled it out anyways and still won't start.

lgbpop: The power switch has two wires from the front button, 1 white, 1 red. I hooked up a voltmeter to the two pins on the mb where they would hook into and I'm only seeing .1-.2V. I'm guessing this isn't right and there's probably an issue with the mb.

Any thoughts?

You should get either 3.3 volts or 5 volts on one of those header pins, in any event it should be > 2.0 volts. If you definitely aren't getting that then it's either the PSU or mobo that's at fault. Here's how to test the power supply:

Testing PSU Voltages

ATX Power Supplies

Trigger Power Supply for testing

In depth look at the power supply
    Nick.

Same old problem

I am trying to fix a 4600 for a friend. I too thought the power supply so I bought a new one. I put it in this morning and got the same results. Flea light the only thing working. I tried jumping pin 14 to common and got the PSU fan going but that is it.

I thought I may have gotten a bad PSU but I tested it in another dell and the new one boots up the other computer fine. So in that case, all the voltages should be OK. I couldn't test the old PSU because it only has the 20 pin connector and the other PC uses the 24 pin. The new PSU has the 20 pin with the 4 pin option.

So I have tried everythink I could think of so far including pulling all cards and memory, jumping the power button pins to bypass that as well to see if it was the culprit. I even tried swapping the MB battery with a new one to see if that would help. I also disconnected the CPU cooling fan and still no joy.

Is there anything else on the motherboard or any where else to look?

Check for bad capacitors - leaking or bulging, or other damage.

Thanx for the advice. I checked all through the motherboard and nothing looks out of the ordinary.

My only clue so far is if I jumper pin 14 to common, the CPU cooling fan will come on and the hard drive will spin up. But the system won't boot at all.

Thread Information