Dell Dimension 4600 won't power up {Resolved}

Thread: Dell Dimension 4600 won't power up {Resolved}

Threaded View

Resolved Dell Dimension 4600 won't power up {Resolved}

I'm helping a friend diagnose a problem with his PC. His Dell Dimension 4600 won't power up. When I take the cover off the case, I can see the green LED lit on the Motherboard. However, when I press the power-on button, absolutely nothing happens (No lights, no fans, no drives spinning)
    What I've tried so far:
    - Verify all the cables are securely in place.
    - Removed all drives and cards.
    - Removed 1 of 2 memory sticks, then switched them.
    - Connected a wire to pins 13 and 14, plugged in power cord, and the power supply fan started spinning.
    - Connected a multimeter to the Power Supply plug, and got readings on Pins 9 and 14 only.

Now for the strange part, with everything plugged in and just sitting there (while I was working on something else at my desk), the PC acted like it was starting to power-up. The lights/fans/drives all came on for a split second and then went off. After about 10-15 seconds, it repeated. It kept doing this for several minutes until I pressed the power button for about 6 seconds, and then it stayed powered off.

The problem appeared out of the blue. They shut it down normally on a Friday, went out of town for a couple of days, and when they returned on Sunday... nothing!

I don't have a spare power supply laying around. I'm willing to buy one if there is a reasonable chance that the power supply is bad. So, what do you think? ... Is it most likely the Power Supply, Motherboard, or something else?
    Thanks,
    Rick
    Last edited by rpoling; October 20th, 2005 at 07:09 PM.

Thread Information