[RESOLVED] HELP! Error 1610.

Thread: [RESOLVED] HELP! Error 1610.

Resolved [RESOLVED] HELP! Error 1610.

Hi guys. I'm glad people like you exist... I've a problem that I've absolutely not been able to fix. I read another error 1610 thread here concerning the installation of Doom3, but that didn't help. So here's the problem:

I'm trying to install Rome: Total War, which uses InstallShield. I receive the 1610 error 'The configuration data for this product is corrupt. Contact your support personnel.' I've tried using a registry cleaner, defragging, using the Microsoft Install Clean Up, and just about everything else! No good.

I'm running Windows XP.

Please help!
    Last edited by Rivyth; October 8th, 2005 at 05:16 PM.

***UPDATE***

Fixed! I was having trouble finding the log mentioned in Liam's Doom3 Error 1610 fix, as it wasn't in the mentioned folder and the name was something entirely strange, but I managed to locate it and used the required data from it.

Thank you SO much Liam! You rock, sir. <3<3<3. Everything else on the internet was so obscure concerning the problem. I'm not sure how I found this site and that post, but I'm glad I did. ;p

Rivyth

You're Welcome Rivyth, Welcome to the forums, make yourself at home.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Solution to error 1610 installshield in Rome Total War

***This solution might work for any program or game what present the Error -1610: Configuration data is corrupt
    *** This is an Installshield error, dont ask me the why...but This is the solution and i have tested a LOT of times.
    *** This error is caused by conflicting entries in the registry.
    *** You will need administrative privileges in windows 2000 or XP to make this work OK? (Dont use the guest account by example)
    *** To get administrative privileges in your windows go to this link: http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108379
    *** First uninstall the troublesome software (in my case Rome Total War)

A) Clean your registry with a ad-hoc program, i recommend Tune-Up utilities 2006 is shareware, and it make a great job, here is the link:
    http://www.tune-up.com/ , use the option Clean up repair----Tune up registry cleaner, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER

B) Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver from the machine, Believe me THIS is SAFE (AT LEAST SEND HER TO THE RECYCLE BIN IF YOU DONT THRUST ME! LOL)

C) Right-click on the installation file that you are trying to install and select Properties.
    The typical names for installation files are setup.exe, update.exe, installer.exe, etc.
    Your installation file can be found on the CD where you are running the setup from.
    In the Properties dialog, click on the Version tab.

D) Look at the File Version field to determine the version number of the IsScript engine you need:

D) Goto this link to download the ISScript engine you will need: http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108158

E) Install the engine you will need and restart your computer.

F) The best part....THE MAGIC!: Open a DOS BOX, goto the file or the CD unit that have the file to begin the installation and READ CAREFULLY the instrucctions. The SETUP FILE is an example, it might work with other names

Creating an installation log file

/verbose : Generate verbose InstallScript engine log file (InstallScript MSI projects only)

For an InstallScript MSI project installation program, you can create a verbose InstallScript-engine-installation log file using the /verbose argument followed by the path to the log file you want to create. A typical command is Setup.exe /verbose"C:\IS.log". The log file generated can help you troubleshoot errors in installing the InstallScript engine on a target system. The /verbose option requires a full path to the log file, and not a relative path.

G) Goto the log file created, and near the end of the file , in the section showing the error that caused to abort the installation search for smomething like this:
    'HKLM\Software\Classes\Installer\Products\B6BB246AD1AC2414D84D13C8F3D38C43\SourceList' (This example is for Rome Total war, but works for other programs), LOOK the LOOONG alphanumerical chain, Copy and paste it in Notepad for example.

H) MAKE A REGISTRY BACKUP! and run Regedit.exe in the Windows folder and make a full search for the LOOONG chain you founded, and DELETE every instance you found, repeat this until it disapear from the whole registry.
    By the way this is the internal code for the program that cause the error 1610.

I) Goto step A

J) Install The program and enjoy!

HOPE THIS HELP YOU! and forgive my bad English..Im from Chile.

PD If you dont found the ISScript E-mail me to ***Email edited to save you from spam*** and i gladly will send you the more recent link, please in the Subject USE CAPS or i will dont read-it (damn i recieve to much spam!)

Links to remember: http://support.installshield.com/kb/...icleid=Q107999

http://www.bluebeam.com/web03/suppor...s/tsa00002.asp

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums...3/r/7391053563

http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108158 ////VERY USEFULL!!!!

Thanks for posting the fix for Rome TW....That should come in handy to people with the problem.

And Welcome to the forums.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W

THX
    I've got the same problem with far cry patches and I was so f***ed up.
    But your method is great and works perfect.

THX again
    greets

Glad it helped you out svart, and Welcome to VDr.

Liam

Thanks Marcos Olivares that fixed it for me

error 1610

thanks for the info on the 1610 error, followed it through and cleared the problem. It also seems to have fixed the Windows error message and closing off the application.

Arrow 1610 error

Hello I have been trying to install FarCry now a week and am having the 1610 error as described in this thread. I did try what Liam suggested about downloading the ISScript and then doing the log and finding the number for the error. But when I take the error number and try to find it in the registry it is not in there. So now what do I do? I am about ready to give up on this game. I bought this for my husband last Christmas, but he couldn't play it cuz his video card was week. So I finally got him a new video card and now the stupid thing won't play. Any other suggestions?? Thank you for your time, Diane

Angry Error 1610 - no error log

I too receive an error code of 1610 for my game Vampire Bloodlines. I have found no error logs, and by running a search for any msi* files or msi*.temp or error files, I have found none. I have successfully installed this game before, but not now. It is an original game, not a burned copy.
    Xp Home
    2.6 Ghz
    Radeon x800 Pro
    Gig of Ram

I followed this link from another forum, I am having this problem but for Gow PC... however the ISscript version is 12 and 12 does not exist anywhere!

Thread Information