Windows Protection Error - Help please!

Thread: Windows Protection Error - Help please!

Windows Protection Error - Help please!

Hi all,

I'm afraid I need lots of help.

A friend of mine - who isn't tech savvy - has given me his pc to look at. It has the following spec:

Athalon 2ghz
    Nvidia FX5200
    512Mb Memory
    Modem (generic, I forget the brand)
    120gb hdd (partitioned into 3 x 40gb drives)

The pc boots up all the way into a message "Windows Protection Error - you will need to restart your computer". After restarting it prompts for Safemode, which it then goes into.

Now, I've had a look at the unintelligible muck that Microsoft suggest you read; stuff like troubleshooting win98 startup problems - checking boot options, disabling devices, not loading VxD's, etc etc...

...all to no avail. I can't figure out what is causing this and my friend needs his pc back soon as he is restarting University.

Can anyone help? Your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Crucifer

p.s. I've noticed that he hasn't defragged his hard drive since he got it last year and he's filled up his primary partition (4gb left out of 40gb) with videos, if that makes any difference...

Never mind, I got it working. I did a search on this error on this forum and got some excellent hits - one of them suggested switching the display driver to standard pci (vga) and it worked.

Only problem now is that the cdrom drive doesn't open any more - must be a mechanical glitch. I'll ask around at work to see if anyone has a spare cdrom they don't need any more and swap it out.

Thanks for looking in anyway

Thread Information