Can't access system restore[Solved]

Thread: Can't access system restore[Solved]

Resolved Can't access system restore[Solved]

I am running XP home and am unable to access the system restore function. I ran net start from the command prompt and can see that the service is running, but when I try to access it via Windows help, it tells me system restore has encountered a problem and needs to close. If I try to access it via control panel - system - system restore tab, then it tells me "an exception occured when trying to run c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll, control_rundll"c:\windows\system32\system.cpl",system"

I have tried terminating system restore via the registry using regedit and the following instruction - Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore.
    If a "DisableSR" value doesn't exist, go to the Edit menu, select New, DWORD value, and create the value.
    Set the value to 1 to disable System Restore or 0 to enable System Restore.

I can then access and restart, but when I try to access again, I get the same error.

I recently upgraded from one 80gb hard drive to 2 80gb hard drives. I had a c: and d: partition on one drive. I now have this on one drive and a e: partition on the new drive. Upon completing the upgrade using Western Digital data lifeguard tools I did need to reload some programs as the icons stopped working. I also added a new sound card, video card, multi card reader and usb 2.0 card - all of which are working fine.

Any ideas on how best to resolve?

Many thanks in advance,

Marcus.

Hi and welcome to VDr

Have you tried sfc /scannow?

Hi Usil,

Thanks for the advice.

I have just tried it and unfortunately the same problem remains.

Best regards,

Marcus.

I would do an over the top install.

Hi Marcus

Another option is to try reinstalling Sytem Restore

1.First ensure that all hidden files and folders are displayed (in Windows Explorer, click Tools | Folder Options | View tab, and click the option button that says "Show hidden files and folders." Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files." Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types").

2.In Windows Explorer, navigate to the Windows folder where you installed XP (by default, C:\Windows). Click the Inf folder.

3.Scroll down to locate the sr.inf file. Right click it and select Install (you might be asked to insert the XP installation CD or point to the i386 installation folder on the hard disk).

Note that this procedure will destroy any restore points you made previously, but if System Restore isn't working, you can't use them anyway.

If your XP CD does not have SP2 slipstreamed
    Go to the C:\windows\inf
    Find sr.inf
    Click “Install” and it will ask for the XP Service Pack 2 files
    So find the SP2 files on hard drive
    Then it will ask for a file on the XP CD so install it too

Elaine

If it ain't broke, leave it alone.

Many thanks - can you advise where to find the SP2 files?

I found SP2 and followed your instructions - thanks Dunedin - everything now working as it should!!

My pleasure.

Happy to help you

Elaine

If it ain't broke, leave it alone.

Thread Information