[RESOLVED] Computer rebooting :(

Thread: [RESOLVED] Computer rebooting :(

Resolved [RESOLVED] Computer rebooting :(

Alright guys wondering if you can shed any light on this??

First pc has Windows Xp OS, 512 Mb Ram, Ati All In Wonder 9800 graphics card, Amd Athlon Xp 2800+ CPU

The computer continually reboots itself after loading Xp I found if I added extra cooling to the case it calmed the rebooting somewhat, I tried replacing the power supply for a higher rated one which did not solve the problem, even got a new case with much better cooling properties still not solved, I then found out how to boot up the computer with the cpu in safe mode (which I believe lowers its speed, at least the bios picks it up as a lower rated processor) this stops the computer rebooting but I want the full speed back from the processor!!! Any ideas?

Cheers

Hi wkdblue, welcome to Virtual Dr

Go to Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup & Recovery>Settings and uncheck "Automatically restart". Then if the cause of the problem is a software or driver problem, you'll get a Stop error instead the next time the problem occurs. If it still continues to reboot anyway, then it points to a definite hardware fault.
    Nick.

I'll give that a whirl, but methinks it will definately be a problem outside of windows as once it's rebooted it tends to then keep restarting before it even attemps to start loading windows, I'm just wondering if it may be the processor due to the problem dissapearing by putting the processor in safe mode?

I had a similar problem recently, When i investigated i had a warm smell coming from my power supply and when i blew into it to remove dust i blue still molten glue which quickly formed strands when it cooled...... Time for a new PSU I decided

Symptoms;

Just restarts in windows after about 15-30 mins then continues to restart in BIOS POST check.

If you leave it a while you can boot to windows again but then repeats

what is the average cpu temperature? verify that the cpu fan is spinning, that the heatsink is not clogged with dust, and that the heatsink is not mounted backwards.

Right I've bought another psu but am still getting the same problem, I've removed the fan on the cpu and sucked out the dust from the heatsink, there was quite a bit, this calmed the rebooting problem until I tried to play homeworld 2. Played for about 15 min then rebooted, I'm guessing it's down to either the processor or the graphics card.

Temperatures:
    Motherboard 36 °C (97 °F)
    CPU 43 °C (109 °F)
    Hitachi HDS722580VLAT20 26 °C (79 °F)

Voltage Values:
    CPU Core 1.63 V
    +3.3 V 3.36 V
    +5 V 5.08 V
    DIMM 2.62 V
    AGP 1.47 V
    Debug Info F 53 FF FF
    Debug Info T 36 43 00
    Debug Info V 66 00 D2 BD 5C A4 59 (01)

Still plays o.k if started with the processor in safe mode (lower speed) getting confused now... looks like I'll be going the way of replacing parts until it's solved

Well your CPU temp is OK, but if you're getting rebooting when you play games that suggests that the graphics card may be overheating. Take the side off the case and blow a room fan over it and see if that cures the problem.
    Nick.

Dust anybody?..........

Well I seem to have sorted the problem, got rid of dust from everywhere and found quite a build in the heat sink on the cpu!!

3 days now without any probs.. yay! Cheers for the help guys

You're very welcome
    Nick.

Thread Information