Externally USB Enclosure

Thread: Externally USB Enclosure

Question Externally USB Enclosure

Hi,
    I plan to by an internal DVD burner and connect it, whenever I need it, using an Externally USB Enclosure, to my T42 IBM laptop.
    Since I'm not familiar with this piece of hardware, could you explain me what is it that I need, and if possible, refer me to a few sources on the net, where it's presented.
    Is there anything I should be aware of prior to buying? Advantages and disadvantages of various types or brands?

Ran

Been using the following for a couple months now, with no complaints:

LaCie d2 DVD±RW with LightScribe 16x
    USB and FireWire, with Double Layer
    http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10122

I'm asking about the enclosure, not the burner

Hi SpywareDr,
    Looks like I failed to make myself clear. I'm planning to buy a dvd internal burner and to connect it to my laptop with an Externally USB Enclosure. (That's a suggestion I've adopted from a web source).
    My problem is that I'm not familiar with "Externally USB Enclosure". What exactly is it? What type exist? (I can't use a wirefire since my laptop doesn't have this capability).
    Can you explain me what is an "Externally USB Enclosure"? What should I look at? What problems to avoid?

Ran

Its just an external case designed to house the drive.Something like this one would suit your needs.

Thanks.
    Does it matter which DVD burner I buy, or do all case fit all burners?

Ran

All internal drives are a standard size ands should fit any case. Make sure that you get an IDE drive and not a SATA one though, as all external cases seem to use the IDE interface currently. Here is a good selection of cases:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
    Nick.

make sure the enclosure you get is a 5.25 inch enclosure (which is the standard size for cd and dvd drives). You should also get one with a fan. If you get usb 2.0 only, it should run you anywhere between $20 and $35. For a combo firewire and usb 2.0, it should be $35-40. I recently purchased an enclosure from http://www.xpcgear.com/525enclosure.html and its great.

Hi Chermesh,
    What you are looking for can be found here (for Israeli stores and prices). What you need to look for is מארז חיצוני (excuse the Hebrew guys). It is best to look for one with a fan, as already mentioned. Besides that, there is not much else to know. This one would be suitable for a burner.
    Last edited by usil; September 18th, 2005 at 08:01 AM.

Thread Information