Windows XP Style missing from display properties. Only Classic style available. FIX

Thread: Windows XP Style missing from display properties. Only Classic style available. FIX

Windows XP Style missing from display properties. Only Classic style available. FIX

Probably through installing a tweak program my option for "Windows XP style" in display properties (appearance) went awol leaving only 'classic style' which caused my taskbar to lose the blue colour and the start panel also lost it's XP gloss (ie Classic Style instead) Following these forum pages gave me some insight to the problem but did not solve it.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...light=xp+theme

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...light=xp+theme

Although the Luna Theme was showing up in the correct folder with the appropriate files 'XP Style' option in display properties/apprearance still would not show.

ANSWER
    The 'Themes' service was not running !!

Before copying the Luna files etc as suggested in the links above check first to make sure that the service IS running and has not been switched off (as mine had been) Follow (open) as stated...

Control Panel ....
    Performance & Maintenance...
    Administrative Tools....
    Computer Management...
    Services and Applications....
    Services....
    Themes (a box with tabs appears)

The 'General' tab is at the front.
    1. If 'startup type' is set at 'disabled' (as mine was) change to 'automatic'
    2. At the bottom is 'service status' CLICK 'Start'

Voila - Windows XP Style zings back in to operation.
    In Display Properties you get your XP Theme option back and 'Windows XP Style' also comes back in the appearance tab.

Hope someone finds this helpful

Hi selderfield

Thanks for passing that on.
    I`m sure someone will find it useful

Elaine

If it ain't broke, leave it alone.

Thread Information