Checking Disk Issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checking Disk Issues

Checking Disk Issues

I have a problem which I am worried might turn into a catastrophe. When I boot this PC (a Dell 8200 running XP Home), I get a blue screen that says there is a problem with one of the disks (C: drive) and it needs to run a check disk to fix the problem. It then gives me ten seconds to cancel. If I don't cancel, the PC reboots and it just keeps cycling like this forever. If I cancel, the PC boots up normally. I have been told to run chkdsk /f, but when I try that, I get the message that the volume is in use by another process and gives me the option of running it when the PC reboots. No matter what I pick (Y/N) I get the same window when the PC reboots which I have described above. I also have been told to get a Windows XP disk, but I don't have one. All I have is the original disk that Dell furnished when I bought this PC and it doesn't seem to give me any option to repair anything, only to reload (which I really don't want to do) or to add programs, which doesn't help. Now on top of this, my keyboard seems to be cashing in and I am afraid that if the keyboard goes, I won't have anyway to cancel the original procedure and the boot up sequence will just go on forever. I bought a wireless keyboard to replace the original one but I am not sure if the PC will recognize it if I just unplug this one and plug in the new one, either when the PC is booted or when the PC is off. I need guidance badly and would appreciate any help you can give me. This has been going on for over a month and it is quite frustrating.

Might try a more thorough disk check. Go to Start>run>type in: "chkdsk /r" .(no quotes and a space after 'k'). when the command box comes up,press the "Y" key for yes,then press "enter" and the box should go away. Reboot and check disk should run during boot.
    Stupid question? No such thing!
    Virtual Dr. to the rescue!
    Just ask. Bookmark your post for easy reference.
    ==================================

RonJohn--The first post here http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 tells you how to get the disk diagnostic utilities for many of the common HD's
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
    You may want to run it and see what it tells you.
    P.S. Have you tried running chkdsk from Safe Mode?
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Run a hard drive diag before you waste more time troubleshooting software.

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

OK, you guys are going to have to hold my hand and walk me through some of this. There is a lot of info on those websites. Ridgerunr, I got exactly the same results form chckdsk /r, that is, an endless boot-up cycle. I went to the
    website you indicated, welshjim and downloaded the data lifeguard for windows
    (I have a Western Digital 160gb [1600aabb] hard drive. Now what? I ran the repair option. Is this correct? Midknyte, I assume your site is basically just the same path to the diagnostic tools. I am not sure what to do now.

My link is to UBCD. UBCD has WD tools, plus a bunch of other diags. You need to download the iso and burn it as an IMAGE to cd. Read the FAQ on their site if you don't know how to do that.

OK midknyte, I seem to be stuck. I downloaded the iso and got a file called ubcd411. I extracted that zip using 7-zip and got a file called the same thing that properties tells me is a Easy CD Creator Image File. I assume that I don't burn that to a CD or do I? If I do, then what?

How to burn a iso.
    How can I write (burn) ISO files to CD or DVD?
    http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

did you read the FAQ like I said? They have links for different burner apps, including easy cd. You may want to consider ditching EasyCD for something like Infrarecorder.

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/faq.html

I will tell you where I am at. I have attempted to burn the iso file to a CD but the PC will not boot to it even though I changed the boot sequence. The PC will no allow itself to be defragmented or to boot in the safe mode. It just hangs up after running through the list. I ran the WD diaogntic test on the hard drive and it passed. Any more suggestions? Frankly, I was quite surprised that the PC would not boot to the safe mode. It always has in the past.

So you were able to burn the WD diag disc? Did you run a full scan or a quick scan?

I still think you burned UBCD incorrectly.

If you windows install is hosed, it is hosed. At this point, you have to get your data off and reformat. The easiest thing would be to slave your drive into another computer, since i know you have trouble burning isos.

Sorry to disappoint you, midknyte. I have done my best given the instructions involved. The iso file is on the cd. I don't understand what we're going for here at this point anyway. If the WD diagnostic test tells me that the hard drive is fine, shouldn't we be looking in some other direction? I just want to get rid of this disk check that pops up every time the PC boots. Does anyone have any idea what would keep the PC from booting in the safe mode?

You're not supposed to copy the iso to the cd. That is the whole point i've been trying to make. you burn it as an IMAGE. Did you read the links that Train and I posted?

Try something other than Easy CD.
    http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

You either have problems with the hard drive, the partition or the file system. That's why you are getting the error.

Here are a few things to try:

http://www.geocities.com/kilian0072002/Autochk.htm

For ISOs I use this:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

After installing just right click the iso and select Burn to disk. Works fine.

boots

Let's go through this again then. I went to the website you pointed me to (ubcd etc.) and downloaded the zip. Opened the zip using the software they recommended (7-zip) and saved that file (ubcd411). Used Active@ISO Burner to burn that file to a CD. Rebooted and changed the boot to boot from the cd-rom drive. Nothing happens. I get the option of using F1 to retry or F2. What am I missing again? I am not trying to be difficult but I have zero computer training and am just trying to learn as much as I can to keep my PC up and running as trouble free as possible.

Thread Information