Windows must be activated but it's already activated

Thread: Windows must be activated but it's already activated

Windows must be activated but it's already activated

Question from my friend:
    i cannot get into xp it say's window's must be activated then it say's do you want to activate windows? Then i click yes then it says windows is all ready activated then click on OK to exit. Then it go's back to windows must be activated. I can not get it too work.Do you have an idea how to fix it ???
    I emailed him back and told him to do the activate by phone option. I haven't heard back from him yet. He has a valid copy of windows XP, I saw the COA. Any ideas?
    I ran the PF Chang's 26.2 Mile Marathon.

Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Quote Originally Posted by Welshjim
    Didn't help, but thanks anyways.

The Product Activation info is stored in the files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" which live in the Windows\System32 folder. If you delete those files and reboot, then the only thing Windows will let you do is activate. I think it will work in this case, but I strongly urge you to back up all your data before trying it, there is a risk that you could end up locked out of Windows altogether.
    Nick.

Supersparks, thanks for your reply. From what I gather, when he boots up, it says you must activate windows, he clicks ok, then it tells him that it's already activated and to click ok. When he clicks OK, it returns him back to the screen that says you must activate windows to continue, I guess it's a never ending loop. Unfortunately we are dealing with a novice and I have little faith that he will figure out how to access the windows\system32 folder without a gui. I would almost suggest to re-install at this point.

It almost sounds like the COA/Product Key he has in possession has been used for multiple installs or something.

No, I think the activation information has just got corrupted. If it had been activated on too many machines then it actually says that.

I think the easiest way out of thgis is to do an over-the-top reinstall. Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to perform a re-install of WinXP

Repair XP
    Nick.

No crack chat thank you.

** Not to mention this thread is almost Three Years old.

Edit by crunchie
    ** Edit by Steve

hello im sorry to rez an old topic but im having the same issue the fix that poster #4 suggested would that work on a computer running xp home sp2 or sp3?

also if i did a windows repair would i have to activate it again or no?

The Service Pack level won't make any difference. And you shouldn't need to activate again after a repair install, provided the activation data itself is not corrupted.
    Nick.

Thread Information