maxtor 200GB external HD

Thread: maxtor 200GB external HD

Unhappy maxtor 200GB external HD

ummm... help? please, pretty please?
    so i cave and got one last weekend - brand spankin' new Maxtor, external 200GB "one touch" hard drive...

installed drivers, got a USB 2.0 card , attached HD...
    it works, i formatted it and copied some files over, primarily media - ~20GB worth;

wake up next morning - my computer informs me that there was a file transfer error to "I:\~MFT" and either my computer hardware or network connection are to blame. i have no idea what ~MFT is although i'm thinking maybe some wacky temp folder? not sure...

clicking on the harddrive shows the folders on the "top level" but their contents are blank;
    i try to safely remove the HD; my computer won't let me
    i shut off the HD drive on the back, which leads to it restarting my computer,

after reboot get same goofy transfer message; i disable the driver for USB card, restart and then enable the USB card. the drive is back...

i've gone through this cycle 4 times now as anytime i leave the drive unattended for a while, i come back to it in that condition; i've disabled all of maxtor software that i could and told it not to go into sleep mode every 15 min...

anybody else in this boat? any solutions?
    thanks,
    lost in HD hell

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs-mft.htm ~MFT = Master File Table

Before and after you transfer the files run chkdsk /r /f and defrag it also.

Thread Information