HP pavilion Beep codes??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HP pavilion Beep codes???

just because the power supply will spin fans and light leds doesn't mean it's providing adequate or clean power to properly operate the system.

the slower speed cpu should work fine as long as it's slot a, you may need to reconfigure jumpers and/or clear the cmos though.

definitely try another power supply and cpu.

new day! pulled the mb out,to make it easy to get at! pulled the bios off, put one from another mb on it, no beeps! no boot, but no beeps,lol then put original back in, it booted up! shut off, tryed again, beep beep again.... put other back on, no go, back to original, and booted again. shut off again, no boot, just beeps. so I figure it has to be something whith the bios chip,and am going to try to find one that will work with it.Thanks for the help! Ric

if you're set on the idea that the bios is faulty and you'd really like to make the system work, it may be worth your time to try to flash the hp chip to an asus k7m bios (if you can find a flasher that will let you do it, and if the system will stay running long enough to reflash). there is a good possibility that the asus bios will work with the board, but it kind of sounds like the bios chip itself has issues. if you feel it's worth the money, you could order a chip from http://www.badflash.com/ that is preprogrammed with the asus k7m bios. this is not guaranteed to work, though, because it's probably not the same board.

edit:
    i highly suggest trying a different cpu and power supply before trying to reflash or install another chip.
    Last edited by chris wolf; August 19th, 2005 at 10:24 PM.

Cool Clean the fan/heat sink radiator

I just solved this problem on a HP Pavillion 7463. I tried process of elimination pulling cards and unhooking drives and then I pulled the CPU fan/heat sink unit off of the processor. I turned on the computer, no more noise and it tried to boot but did not because the CPU fan is a BIOS requirement for the computer to start. I cleaned off the CPU fan/heat sink with a can of compressed air. Reinstalled the fan unit and the computer started and is okay.
    There was not a lot of dust on the CPU Fan assembly, perhaps enough to have the processer run hot and trigger the BIOS warning and system lock out.

Hope this helps. From the date of the threat I read, my solution is about 5 years to late for them but apparently HP Pavillions are still giving the same problems and I hope to save the next person the hour I spent trouble shooting. And perhaps save from a trip to Geek Squad and the cost of their services.

Brother Andy

Thread Information