HP pavilion Beep codes???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP pavilion Beep codes???

HP pavilion Beep codes???

Hi all, I have an hp 8765C that justs beeps at me when turned on. I went to hp site, but can;t find the codes for the beeping. when started, it goes-
    beep beep,beep beep,beep beep,beep,beep all short beeps.Nothing else happens. tryed so far, changed memory,reseated prossesor,took all cards out,unpluged hd.cd,floppy,ect. with nothing connected to MB, it still just beeps the same code. anyone got a clue what the beeps are trying to tell me? or a site where I can print them out from?? Thanks Ric

beeps are 1--2--2--3
    when posted,it shows all the beeps together.
    Last edited by mrgto6467; August 18th, 2005 at 11:50 AM. Reason: word wrapped the text!

Welcome to BIOS Central*

BIOS means Basic Input Output System. BIOS is actually firmware, the software that is programmed into a ROM (Read-Only Memory) chip built onto the motherboard of a computer. BIOS is what makes the system run an initial Power-On Self-Test of the computer, initialize circuits, load the boot program from the boot disk, and then handle low-level I/O to peripheral controllers such as keyboard and display.

http://bioscentral.com/
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

thank you steve, but WHAT do I have to do to get it working again?

The beep codes "should" tell you exactly what died/broke.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Check the motherboard for bulging capacitors. These are cyndrical devices, about an inch tall, on the motherboard that have a silver top and an X marked on the top of them. If any of these are bulging or have brownish goop coming out the top of them, your motherboard will need replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by photolady
    Check the motherboard for bulging capacitors. These are cyndrical devices, about an inch tall, on the motherboard that have a silver top and an X marked on the top of them. If any of these are bulging or have brownish goop coming out the top of them, your motherboard will need replacing.

thanks for the reply Photo lady. I've looked it all over, and all apear to be fine, nice and silver color, no bulging that I can see either. And contrary to steves last reply, The beep codes DO NOT tell ME what is wrong,or what to do to fix it.... I would prefer just a --you need to change mb to fix it,not you should know from the code! Any other ideas?

BIOS codes / beeps, will tell you what's wrong. We can't just tell you the motherboard needs replacing because the beeps may not indicate it's the motherboard that's bad. It could be a bad video card or bad memory. So, you need to find out which BIOS is in that HP, be it either Award/Pheonix, or AMI or other, when you know that we can give you some idea of what really is wrong.

ok, on the MB, it says it's an K7M rev: 1.06 The chip I "think" is the bios,has a sticker on it that says K7MH8 1.04 it's about 1/2" wide,x 1.5 long,with about 16 pins on each side going in MB no brand name on it, but does have a circle with like a flag at top left of it.says 0020f v29c51002t-90p on it also. Can I just try one offa simialar mb and see if it works, or would that burn up this board? I figure it's not working now,so what could it hurt? It's only a 900 mhz,but have dvd cdrw ect,want to fix if I can. Thanks,Ric

That's an Asus motherboard in there. After doing some research at HP, I found that in the specs. I also found a bios update for it, if that would help, but I doubt it will. I'm not sure which BIOS that board uses but some of Asus's boards used AMI bios, below is a link for what the beeps mean.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/12,13.html

Or they could have used Award bios, so below is a link for how many beeps mean what:

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

the asus k7m uses the ami bios. this is most likely an oem motherboard made by asus for hp, but it sounds like it still uses the ami bios (possibly modified). please describe the beep codes in more detail (e.g. short beeps, long beeps, short pauses, long pauses). generally beep codes indicate ram or video card failures, but may indicate cpu, motherboard or power supply failure or invalid bios settings.

edit:
    only use hp bios updates for this motherboard as it most likely is not the same as the asus k7m. however, if the system isn't posting the bios cannot be updated.
    Last edited by chris wolf; August 18th, 2005 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris wolf
    the asus k7m uses the ami bios. this is most likely an oem motherboard made by asus for hp, but it sounds like it still uses the ami bios (possibly modified). please describe the beep codes in more detail (e.g. short beeps, long beeps, short pauses, long pauses). generally beep codes indicate ram or video card failures, but may indicate cpu, motherboard or power supply failure or invalid bios settings.

edit:
    only use hp bios updates for this motherboard as it most likely is not the same as the asus k7m. however, if the system isn't posting the bios cannot be updated.
    =========================================================
    Photolady,thanks for the info, but either site has a code of 1-2-2-3 on it so nogo there.

Chris, the beeps are short ones, about 2 seconds apart, 1beep,about 2 seconds later a beep,beep,about 2 more seconds, beep,beep again, then about 2 more seconds 3 beeps in a row, then it don't do nothing at all, just sits there till I shut it down. The keyboard lights do flash when I turn it on if that means anything.the ami site don't show that code.

does the sticker indicate what bios the board uses?

it's possible what you're hearing is a series of beep codes instead of a single code, however: further research reveals that the code that you described matches the phoenix bios beep code for "bios rom checksum". i'm not absolutely certain, but it sounds like the bios chip may have failed (or suffered a bad flash).

does the sticker indicate what bios the board uses?

it's possible what you're hearing is a series of beep codes instead of a single code, however: further research reveals that the code that you described matches the phoenix bios beep code for "bios rom checksum". i'm not absolutely certain, but it sounds like the bios chip may have failed (or suffered a bad flash).
    no name for bios anywhere that I can see on it,I even took the sticker off to look under it. Do you think if I plug in another phonex bios chip it "might" boot? or do they have to be the same chip to work? Have some older MB around that should have one to fit it. the beeps sound like they would be all one set to me. not a long pause between them.

it would only work if the bios is similar enough to operate the motherboard and the chip is electrically compatible. you could fry the chip and/or motherboard if they are not compatible.

since we have not been able to verify what the beep code means... what was done to the system shortly before this started happening? you stated that you tried different ram, but have you tried a different video card, cpu or power supply?

it would only work if the bios is similar enough to operate the motherboard and the chip is electrically compatible. you could fry the chip and/or motherboard if they are not compatible.

since we have not been able to verify what the beep code means... what was done to the system shortly before this started happening? you stated that you tried different ram, but have you tried a different video card, cpu or power supply?
    tryed different ram,vidio card,have not tryed different PS as it seems to be powering fine.if a smaller mhz cpu will work I'll try that in the morning. Also note I tryed it with nothing hooked to board but the vidio card, still same thing. it's a 900mhz/128 ram,40gig hd,cdrw,dvd,agp vidio card(tryed a pci one) ram works fine in another HP computer. don't know the story on it, was just bought at flea market.(as is) For the $50 I figure the parts are worth it, but would like to fix if possable.

Thread Information