HELP! chkdsk error message

Thread: HELP! chkdsk error message

Exclamation HELP! chkdsk error message

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in the forums so please bear with me. I was running CHKDSK
    earlier on my E: drive because it was labeled as DIRTY. As I was going about this the following error message popped up...

"Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? <Y/N>"

At this point I kinda freaked out since I dont have the slightest idea what this means and because it sounds a little "ominous". Could someone or preferably multiple people explain to me what this means and guide me from that point onwards? Thanks.

~Phantomz~

Welcome to VirtualDr

Try rebooting the pc and then go straight to running chkdsk.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

I did and it gives me the same error message. What does this mean?

~Phantomz~

phantomz--This article offers some help (Read under "Running Chkdsk on a volume other than the boot volume"). Running chkdsk /f is the same thing as running Error Checking from right click C:\|Properties|Tools.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...d_tro_xudm.asp
    For once MS's explanation and fix is almost understandable.
    Last edited by Welshjim; August 17th, 2005 at 07:00 PM.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

What happens when the disk is locked? (sorry im quite lost)

~Phantomz~

"Chkdsk cannot run because the volume(disk/partition) is in use by another process."
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

So how do I get it to stop being used by another process?

~Phantomz~

Usually rebooting helps, as Autocheck(Autochk) starts after the reboot, but seeing as it did not help when you tried you could perform either Chkdsk/r or Chkdsk/f.

" /r " Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /f). If Chkdsk cannot lock the volume, it offers to check it the next time the computer starts.
    Because NTFS also identifies and remaps bad sectors during the course of normal operations, it is usually not necessary to use the /r parameter unless you suspect that a disk has bad sectors.

" /f " Fixes errors on the disk. The volume must be locked. If Chkdsk cannot lock the volume, Chkdsk offers to check it the next time the computer restarts.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

phantomz--The advice in the reference link I gave you seems to boil down to typing N|Enter. That should give you the opportunity to specify that you want to error check the volume by running Autochk the next time the computer restarts. Then reboot. Chkdsk should run automatically at boot.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Thread Information