Keyboard scroll lock problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keyboard scroll lock problem

Keyboard scroll lock problem

I have a similar problem. I need my scroll lock key to turn on at start up. The registry tweak keeps reverting back to default. I cannot switch the scroll lock key with num lock because I use num lock very often and it would become very confusing if I were to switch it with the scroll lock key.

I have a black keyboard that had blue lights, but the blue lights are always off by default and can only be turned on by pressing the scroll lock key. If the keyboard lights are not on, you can't see the keys at all. It just gets very frustrating to always have to turn the keyboard lights on all the time. It's a new keyboard and I like it a lot, but this one small issue is already causing me to want to throw the keyboard in the garbage.

Is there a way to initialize a macro at startup that would press scroll lock automatically?

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Hi SUICIDAL, I've moved your post to create its own thread and placed it in hardware where you should get a better answer. The other thread you posted in was almost 10 years old.

For reference for other members, here is the other thread:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d-upon-startup

What version of Windows are you using?

Possibly useful links:

http://www.technipages.com/set-capsl...off-at-startup

http://www.askvg.com/force-capslock-...dows-registry/

Note: If the registry settings keep getting changed back, you can either try protecting the registry entries against change by changing the security settings on them, or you can create a script that runs at startup that sets the registry the way you want it.

I am using Windows 8.1

The 2 links you posted brought me to sites that I had already visited. I tried those methods and the registry keeps reverting back and will not save my changes.

You mentioned... try protecting the registry entries against change by changing the security settings on them, or you can create a script that runs at startup that sets the registry the way you want it.

How can I protect the registry against change by changing the security settings on them? I think that would actually work, but i don't know how to do that.

I tried what you had suggested, my scroll lock key is still "off" when the computer starts up, but my num lock key is "on".

What I want is for both Scroll Lock and Num Lock to be "on" when the computer starts up.

My BIOS settings are currently set to have Num Lock enabled when the computer starts up.

For HKEY_CURRENT_USER I changed the setting from "2" to "6".
    For HKEY_USERS I changed the setting from "2147483648" to "2147483654".

Both of those registry settings are supposed to make the Scroll lock and Num Lock keys "on" at start up, but I am not 100% sure.

When I shutdown my computer and restart, I then go to my registry and notice that the "6" reverted back to "2", but the change I made to HKEY_USERS "2147483654" saved correctly, but seems to have no effect.

So I changed the "2" back to a "6" and then I applied the permission changes that you had suggested, but the Scroll Lock key is still "off" when the computer starts up.

I don't want to give up on this.

Did you change the permissions for the Everyone group, as detailed in the link I posted?

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard
    Change InitialKeyboardIndicators from 2 to 6
    Right-click on the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard folder and click Permissions
    Click Advanced
    Click Add
    In Enter the object name to select, type Everyone and click OK
    Check the Deny box for the following: Set Value, Create Subkey, Delete, Write Owner
    Click OK
    Click OK again
    Click Yes to deny
    Click OK

Now try restarting and see if the setting sticks.

I changed the permissions for the Everyone group as detailed in the link you posted and it didn't work and then I removed the changes I made and then tried again using your guide and it still didn't work.

Are you able to get it to work?

I don't have a Win8 box to test that on right now, but it works on Win7x64.

OK. I tested it on Win8.1 x86. It works there too. Are you sure you chose "Deny" from the drop down menu?

I must be doing something wrong. You are more than welcome to try to do it for me on Teamviewer. I'm assuming you use Steam, my Steam name is SUICIDAL. From there I could send you my Teamviewer user ID and password to connect. Just hit me up on Steam if you want to give it a try.
    Last edited by SUICIDAL; April 30th, 2014 at 05:33 PM.

You have to choose DENY from the pull down menu. The default is Allow (which doesn't do anything for you). You can't just check the boxes. Win7 has 2 columns of check boxes, Allow and Deny, but Win8 doesn't.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard
    Change InitialKeyboardIndicators from 2 to 6
    Right-click on the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard folder and click Permissions
    Click Advanced
    Click Add
    In Enter the object name to select, type Everyone and click OK
    Choose DENY from the drop down menu
    Check the box for the following: Set Value, Create Subkey, Delete, Write Owner
    Click OK
    Click OK again
    Click Yes to deny
    Click OK

I think that's it, but I'm not at my test workstation now. I'll double-check tomorrow when I have my Win8 VM.

The Instructions above are not consistent with my version of Windows 8.1

When I tried to follow your instructions in the past and got a little lost, but I still tried to apply the changes the best I could.

This is what it looks like when I right click the keyboard folder and choose "Permissions":

This is what it looks like when I choose "Advanced":

And this is what it looks like when I choose "Add":

As you can see there is no box to type "Everyone" and click "OK".

So I decided to skip step 4 (Click Advanced) and I clicked "Add" instead and then I typed "Everyone" and hit "OK".

Then I clicked "Advanced" and highlighted "Everyone" on the list and clicked "Edit" and also clicked "Show advanced permissions" and I got this:

Then I started to check the boxes and choose deny from the drop menu like this:

Then I clicked "OK", "OK", Yes" and "OK". (should I have left "Read Control" checked?)

Now if I want to access the permissions settings, it tells me that I do not have permission.
    So now my keyboard setting is set to "6", but Scroll Lock and Num Lock are now both disabled on start up, which is the exact opposite of what I wanted.
    Before I had applied these settings, I was able to start up with Num Lock enabled. I still believe that I did something wrong somewhere and that there is a way to get this to work somehow.

Since this obviously didn't work and I need to try again, how do I get back into the keyboard registry settings?
    Last edited by SUICIDAL; May 1st, 2014 at 10:58 AM.

I took a guess and clicked the "Change" button and added my email address into the box and I am now back in. It still shows a setting of "6". I am going to shut down the pc and start it back up and if it is still set to "6".

Scroll Lock and Num Lock are both still disabled and the keyboard setting reverted back to "2".

Back to the drawing board.

I was reading this thread, but I not really sure what they're talking about, but it seemed like they got it to work by taking a different approach.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1268051
    Last edited by SUICIDAL; May 1st, 2014 at 11:16 AM.

Thread Information