No Display At Boot-Up

Thread: No Display At Boot-Up

No Display At Boot-Up

I'm building a new PC from with a mixture of used / new parts.

When I come to boot-up the monitor will not power up (no display).

Hard drive, dvd drive, fans all power up ok.

The monitor works fine with my other pc.

I'm wondering if its a problem with the old vga card i'm using as it is 2x/4x agp and my new motherboard is 8x agp.

That video card maybe old enough that it is not getting the right voltages. I'd try a new card. And I hope it has not damaged the AGP slot.

If it has, a new motherboard will be needed or you can try a PCI video card.

No Beeps

Further to original post:

I have just noticed that the motherboard is not self-testing (i.e. there are no beeps at start-up) so it could be a faulty motherboard.

Any advice for check if motherboard is faulty?

It could still be the grahics card, if there is a graphics card problem it can prevent the PC from running the POST test.
    Nick.

To add to the posts by Train and SS, i would maybe try and borrow a graphics card from a friend if possible or maybe take your system to a local shop and have them try a card in it and see if you still have problems, if that is the case someone can advise you here about getting a new compatible card if you have any problems.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

A lot of people ask me about building their own computer, and here is what I have written up, to answer that question.

To start with, here are a few tips that may help you in your endeavor. First, if you don’t have a ground strap, then you will need to discharge, any static charge that you hold, by touching the computer case, or any metal object. Before handling any static sensitive objects CPU, memory sticks (dims), motherboard, and expansion cards, be sure to discharge yourself first.

• If you are building your own computer, first try and put it together outside the case, this has a couple advantages, the first being saving your sanity. You want to start with the bare minimum, that being the motherboard, CPU, and the power supply. You may need a front panel speaker, if there isn’t a beeper, on the motherboard, and also the on/off switch, from the computer case, plugged into the motherboard’s front panel terminals. Now, when you turn the computer on, you should see all your fans spinning and hear a bunch of beeps, so you now know that the motherboard, power supply, and the CPU all work.
    • Now, this is very important, before going any further, unplug the power cord, from the power supply. Be sure to discharge your static, and now, install one stick of memory, I know, you want to put them all in, but only one stick, for now. Plug the power cord back in, and turn it on, you should hear a series of beeps (1 long 3 short), as the computer searches for the video card. Ok, turn it off, and unplug the power cord again, from the power supply
    • Now, discharge yourself and inset your video card, then connect your monitor to the video card. Plug the power cord back in and turn it on. You should get the Power On System Test (POST) one beep. Then, you should get a display, on your monitor screen, showing your basic boot screen, and a boot disk error, because you don’t have any drives installed. Up to now, if you have the monitor display, and the disk error, your system is sweet.
    • Now, start putting these components, in the computer case, but first, be sure to look at the number, and the placement of the standoffs. Make sure you don’t have more standoffs than you need, and they all will line up with the mounting holes, on your motherboard. Sometimes, a standoff will be slightly leaning too far to one side, and may have a tendency to short out a circuit on the motherboard. In the case of the misaligned standoff, maybe try persuading it over in the correct direction with a needle nose pliers, or use a small piece of electrical tape around that mounting hole, on the motherboard.
    • Once you have these components installed, in the case, and have your boot display, on the monitor, along with the disk error, then you know you have a good start.
    • Now, install the drives, partition, and format your hard drives, setup the BIOS, install the operating system, and add the remaining hardware and drivers. Now. go take your computer for a spin around the block.

These steps, have saved me hours of frustration, and I am sure they will help with your build too. The motherboard shorting, on the standoffs, is one of the most common problems found, on a new build, and it can be frustrating after you have it all together.

Omg

I am 60% sure i know what it is, i had the same problem and i did EVERYTHING i could to fix it. No other graphics cards or moniters worked or anything. If ur using INTEL p4. MAKE SURE THE PROCCESSOR POWER IS IN. If AMD, no idea.

Thread Information