pc restarts itself

Thread: pc restarts itself

pc restarts itself

so heres a problem that i cant figure out..
    a month ago my pc started restarting itself. at first it'd run for 15minutes or so, then restart, then 5 minutes, restart, then it wouldnt even get as far as booting windows and it restarts.
    i took the case off and noticed that the power supply was baking hot, after more poking around i noticed the power supply fan was broken, i changed the fan, my pc's fine.
    now, (one month on) it starts restarting itself again, all the fans are fine, i even replace the power supply incase the old one had burn itself out in the heat but still get the same problem. last time i had it running for the 15 minutes i updated windows, norton, adaware and spybot and ran them as much as i could before it restarted and it found nothing.

been as it sometimes restarts before windows boots i thought it must be hardware (??? i've not had problems like this before so im not sure), and i reinstalled windows after the problems a month ago. considered it might be a usb overloading probelm but still the same with no usb devices plugged in.

also, after the first problem i found that the processor heat sensor thing kept beeping, i changed the alarm to only beep when above 90 but it still beeps when im converting videos or running mp3gain. sensor problem or related to the restarting??

im running windows XP SP2
    latest norton
    have adaware and spybot
    power supply is 500W

sorry for the long post.

any suggestions?? my brains melted...
    tom

Hi Tom, welcome to VDR, it sounds to me like your problem could be related to heat. Try opening up the case & setting up a small room fan to blow onto the components for awhile. See if that stops the constant rebooting. BJ

hi, thanks for the help. tried it but it didnt work.

although.... Just reset the bios to default and checking the temperatures theyre at a more reasonable level, wondering if the pc thought it was too hot and restarted, but seems to be ok now, fingers crossed (been on without restart for 30 mins and counting). i'll keep you informed. no idea what i might have changed to cause the problem, i'll put it down to technology being complicated.
    worth a try if you're having a similar problem.

tom

I hope it continues to run for you. If you have not done so already, give the inside of the case a good cleaning, use a can of compressed air to blow the dust out. This should help with the heat issue. BJ

also, after the first problem i found that the processor heat sensor thing kept beeping, i changed the alarm to only beep when above 90 but it still beeps when im converting videos or running mp3gain.
    Maybe I'm not understanding your posts, but are we talking Celcius here? If so, I highly advise you bring that alarm setting down a bit or you could possibly be burning up your CPU without an alarm going off (although the Pentium is supposed to shut down before reaching those temps). If we are talking Fahrenheit, then it would be no surprise the alarm is beeping...either one of those CPUs will run hotter than 90ยบ F within a few seconds from bootup. What CPU are you using; Athlon or Pentium?
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

To add a few more questions to the pot.......What make is the PSU? just wondering if you picked up a generic one and the system is not getting sufficient power.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

hey, its fine now, been on all afternoon. and it was celcius, confused me too cos i put my hand by the processor and it definatly wasnt that hot. but like i said i restored the default bios settings and checked the temperature and it was around the 30, 40 mark. which was much better and seemed more sensible, just not sure how the 'bios' (sure theres a technical name) got confused.

and i checked before replacing the power supply that the new one would cope. the old one was more than enough too and probably still works if that wasnt the problem, but as the fan had broken before i picked up a duel fan one to get more life out of it.
    thanks for the help though.

tom

Glad you got it sorted,

just not sure how the 'bios' (sure theres a technical name) got confused.
    Yep it is referred to as "BIOS" An abbreviation for Basic Input/Output System, but thats quite a mouthful

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Thread Information