[RESOLVED] What does "restarting due to disk write" mean?

Thread: [RESOLVED] What does "restarting due to disk write" mean?

Resolved [RESOLVED] What does "restarting due to disk write" mean?

I've been trying to run a diagnostic on my IBM laptop, Thinkpad A22e (Windows 98) using Norton Disc Doctor from Norton SystemWorks 2002. During the test it keeps saying "restarting due to disk write". I let it keep running all night for a total of 12 hours, and it still did not finish. Can you please tell me what is happening, and how can I complete the test so I can defrag and optimize performance? Needless to say my computer is taking 4ever to do anything. Thanks!

Try running the diagnostic in Safe Mode. Make sure that nothing else is running.

rollie--The message means that some other program is working in the background. jdc2000 has given you good advice. Working in Safe Mode should prevent "some other program" from running in the background. "some other program " could be your screen saver, connection to the internet, a scheduled task (like scanning your PC for viruses, looking for updates), etc. You could also stop the individual programs likely to be running.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

It worked! I ran the diagnostic in safe mode, and was able to complete it. Now everything is moving along much better. Thank-you!

Thread Information