Outlook 2003 check highlighted text crashes Outlook

Thread: Outlook 2003 check highlighted text crashes Outlook

Outlook 2003 check highlighted text crashes Outlook

I have a PC with Windows 2000 and Outlook 2003 on it. When you try to check a selected section of text in an e-mail that you are composing, Outlook crashes. If you just use F7 to check the entire e-mail, that works fine, but if you just want to check one word or a sentence that is highlighted by right-clicking on the selection and selecting the appropriate menu item, that causes the Outlook crash. This function used to work OK. If anyone has any ideas as to how to fix this, they would be appreciated. Thanks.

Make sure MS Word Isn't set to be the Editor.

Try Detect and Repair.

Error message when you use the spelling checker to check the spelling of an e-mail message in Outlook: "No Custom dictionary exists" or "Error occurred while checking spelling"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930478/en-us
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Update:

Word is not set to be the editor. Detect and Repair won't work, like most installations I have seen. It asks for the installation CD, but then refuses to see the files on it.

However, I did discover that at some point the user had altered the Normal.dot template to use a Spanish dictionary. I deleted the Normal.dot file (which Word did NOT re-create), and that fixed the template issue. However, all documents created using that template have their language and grammar settings as a Spanish variant, and I could not change that. To correct the document settings, I had to create a new blank document and then copy and paste the text from the old document created with the Spanish template to the new document created with the English template, and re-save it.

I don't know if this has corrected the Outlook right-click selection spell check issue yet though.

Error message when you check the spelling of text that is in an e-mail message in Outlook 2003 by using either the Dutch or Spanish dictionary: "Speller does not support this language"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919038/en-us

When you check spelling of Spanish, Dutch, or Portuguese text in a Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 e-mail message, the spelling check results are unexpected, and you receive an error message
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893714/en-us
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Steve:

Thanks for the links. The only error message you get is the usual Microsoft box that says "Outlook has encountered an error and needs to close". I have looked at the error report details, but they don't give much insight as to what is causing the problem.

However, it appears that correcting the spell check issue in Word has fixed this error as well. I'll let the user try it out for a while before I considered the problem resloved though.

Thread Information