error message on start up

Thread: error message on start up

error message on start up

hi all,my system is win xp home edition.
    im getting a message that says<windows root>\system32\hall.dll. is corrupted
    please copy and reinstall.
    ive copied that file to a floppy from another machine,but how do i copy it to my system.
    all i get is a black screen with the error message cant boot to windows

thanks for any help

See if this link gives an assist ... let us know if not!

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000490.htm
    Windows 10 on: ~Asus P5B-E ~Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz ~G. Skill (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400 ~EVGA 7900GTX ~Kingston SSD (for the OS) ~Western Digital 650GB Hard Drive (Data), Turtle Beach Santa Cruz w/Klipsh 2.1 Pro Media Speakers ~ Twin BenQ FP202W 20.1" LCD's

In any case you cannot, despite the message, simply copy Hal.dll, it is the Hardware Abstraction Layer and is specific to the hardware on your machine. If you don't have any luck with the link that Abhoth gave you'll need to do an over-the-top reinstall of Windows:

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to perform a re-install of WinXP

Repair XP
    Nick.

well i ended up reinstalling xp.
    xp installed itself next to the original os, so when i booted the comp it asked which xp os i wanted to boot to.
    if i picked # 1 it booted to the os i just installed,if i picked# 2 it booted to original os and still got corrupted hal.dll message.
    so i booted to #1 and got into widows boot.ini file.
    it showed 2 xp installations but the corrupted one said partition=0,the good one said partition =1.
    so i changed to partition=1 on corrupted file and windows works fine now.
    i just have 2 xp operating systems now / go figure
    thanks for suggestions

Thread Information