iPod - "USB Device Not Recognized"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPod - "USB Device Not Recognized"

iPod - "USB Device Not Recognized"

Hi,

I have a new Dell Dimension desktop, with 2GB of RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, and running Windows XP Home SP2.

After inserting my iPod Photo into a USB port in my Dimension, the following happens:
    1) I get a pop-up error on the lower-right saying “USB Device Not Recognized”
    2) Another USB-connected device (the Dell USB Wireless Adapter) abruptly stops working. This is solved by unplugging the wireless adapter and replugging it – but that doesn’t help with my bigger problem.
    3) The iPod is NOT recognized by the computer. It doesn’t show up on Windows Explorer, or on the iTunes software. It doesn’t even charge, which it should do. The only indication I get that it is connected is the error mentioned above, and the inclusion of an “Unknown Device” under USB devices in the Device Manager. According to the Device Manager, there’s no driver installed.

I have tried the following solutions:
    1) Running the iPod on another computer – it works just fine on at least two other systems, one running XP Pro and the other running XP Home (no SP2)!
    2) Disconnecting the iPod and reconnecting it – same results
    3) Resetting the iPod, while it’s plugged in – no effect
    4) Turning the iPod off and back on while plugged in – no effect
    5) Connecting the iPod while the conflicting item – the wireless adapter – is not even connected – Same results
    6) Installing an iPod driver – although I was able to download it and run it on the computer, I can’t apply it to the iPod because Windows won’t accept the iPod as such.
    7) Calling Apple Support – who turned out to be a bunch of jerks because they want to charge me £30 just to TRY to fix the problem. In any case, since the iPod works fine on other computers, it’s decidedly NOT an iPod problem.

If anyone can suggest something, I’d appreciate it. At this point I’ll try anything!

Thanks in advance,
    WASSIM

I would try and find some updated motherboard chipset drivers and install those (either the full set, or specifically the USB drivers). If you can't find any that are more recent than the ones you already have, just try uninstalling and then reinstalling those.
    Nick.

Whoa - half of what you said just flew over my head.

Could you be any more specific? The thing that blows with um, warranties is that, you download any new BIOS or anything like that, and the warranty is null and void. Kinda sucks considering I just got the computer.

If it helps, I have a Dell Dimension 8400...

Thanks,
    WASSIM

There is no way that you will affect the warranty by installing drivers (thye're supplied by DEll in any case). Go to this site and type in the specific info for your PC, and you can be certain of getting the correct ones. You are looking for Chipset drivers:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx

Once you've found them, post back, and we'll tell you what to do next.
    Nick.

Thanks, SUpersparks. Maybe I described it wrong, but essentially this is a disclaimer I get:

DISCLAIMER

TO USERS OF DELL'S SERVICE & SUPPORT WEB SITE: DELL INC. ("DELL") DOES NOT WARRANT THE FILES (INCLUDING ANY FIXES AND UPDATES) PROVIDED IN THE DOWNLOADABLE FILE LIBRARY AREA(S) OF THE DELL SERVICE & SUPPORT WEB SITE (THE "SITE"). ALL FILES AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD (THE "FILES") FROM THE SITE ARE PROVIDED "AS IS." IN CONNECTION WITH THE FILES, DELL MAKES NO WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OF TITLE, OR OF NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS. USE OF THE FILES BY A USER IS AT THE USER'S RISK AND IS DEEMED ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS. IN NO EVENT SHALL DELL BE LIABLE TO THE USER FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING FROM USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE FILES, INCLUDING ANY DAMAGES AS A RESULT OF VIRUS INFECTION OR OTHER CONTAMINATION, INCLUDING ANY LOST PROFITS, LOST SAVINGS, OR OTHER INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF DELL HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANOTHER PARTY.

In other words: you mess your computer up, don't come crying to us.

In any case, the latest chipset driver they had was dated January. It's inconceivable that they didn't already install it.

But I do want to try it - I'm just gonna call Tech Support to straighten out this silliness first...
    ...Will report back when I have.

WASSIM

Me again...

...Basically the tech support guy convinced me that updating the chipset driver will do no good, and as I said above, the newest one's six months old and in the off chance that I mess up my computer, my warranty doesn't cover it.

Are there any other suggestions? Please? Please?

Thanks,
    WASSIM

I know this may seem like a daft question but are your USB ports USB 2.0? Because if they are not then the I-Pod will not work. Had the same thing with mine.

I too have a dell laptop inspiron 1150. It worked fine with the IPOD for a while then same problem. I have a warranty. So I called apple and even got a repalcment ipod. The problem still persists. But since I have a new Ipod with the same problem, I have to think it is something to do with Dell. Not the drivers on the USB ports, but something about the compatability with the most recent Ipod firmware and Dell.

Please let me know if you find a solution.

I found a solution thru google. It seems wierd but it works.

Unplug your Dell. Take out the battery. Wait a few mins. Restart the comp,I did it from the battery Plug in the ipod. start itunes. the ipod should be there. At some point I also reconected the power. I don't know why this works, it just does.

It workied for me

Quote Originally Posted by aclevene
    I found a solution thru google. It seems wierd but it works.

Unplug your Dell. Take out the battery. Wait a few mins. Restart the comp,I did it from the battery Plug in the ipod. start itunes. the ipod should be there. At some point I also reconected the power. I don't know why this works, it just does.

I just did that and it is working, although when I put the bettery back into my iPod it doesn't work again. It is strange, but at least this solution allows you to charge through USB, and update your iPod.

Solution: Ipod usb device not recognized

For me the solution was that I totally unplugged my computer. That is shut it down and remove the plug from the wall and then replug. WORKED FOR ME!!!

I had the same problem. I tried many things, but finally found something that worked.

I had a mac handy so I plugged my nano into it. It was recognized. I ejected it in finder and removed it.

I then put it in the USB slot on my Dell Desktop. It was recognized!

I then reset the nano to it's original settings and checked to see that the firmware was up to date.

I then synced some songs to it and ejected it using the eject icon in itunes and then clicked on the "safely remove hardware" icon in windows to see if it was there. It was, so I clicked on "safely remove device" and then removed it. I re-inserted the nano and it worked.

My be superstition, but hey, it worked.

OK, well, that failed. I found this link on apple.com:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/

I followed the directions, this time making sure the ipod was OFF when inserting it into the usb drive, it worked fine.

It may be that the ipod needs to be OFF when inserting it?

Also, don't forget to eject it in itunes AND go through the safely remove hardware deal in Windows.

Hi. i have same prob....im using my ipod nano for almost 2 months..but this weel when i put my ipod to computer to load songs..it didn't recognized already.how fixed this prob..

If it's only been happeining for a week, then the best thing to do would be to use System Restore to roll back to a point before the problem started.
    Nick.

Thread Information