Hi,

I have a new Dell Dimension desktop, with 2GB of RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, and running Windows XP Home SP2.

After inserting my iPod Photo into a USB port in my Dimension, the following happens:
1) I get a pop-up error on the lower-right saying “USB Device Not Recognized”
2) Another USB-connected device (the Dell USB Wireless Adapter) abruptly stops working. This is solved by unplugging the wireless adapter and replugging it – but that doesn’t help with my bigger problem.
3) The iPod is NOT recognized by the computer. It doesn’t show up on Windows Explorer, or on the iTunes software. It doesn’t even charge, which it should do. The only indication I get that it is connected is the error mentioned above, and the inclusion of an “Unknown Device” under USB devices in the Device Manager. According to the Device Manager, there’s no driver installed.

I have tried the following solutions:
1) Running the iPod on another computer – it works just fine on at least two other systems, one running XP Pro and the other running XP Home (no SP2)!
2) Disconnecting the iPod and reconnecting it – same results
3) Resetting the iPod, while it’s plugged in – no effect
4) Turning the iPod off and back on while plugged in – no effect
5) Connecting the iPod while the conflicting item – the wireless adapter – is not even connected – Same results
6) Installing an iPod driver – although I was able to download it and run it on the computer, I can’t apply it to the iPod because Windows won’t accept the iPod as such.
7) Calling Apple Support – who turned out to be a bunch of jerks because they want to charge me £30 just to TRY to fix the problem. In any case, since the iPod works fine on other computers, it’s decidedly NOT an iPod problem.

If anyone can suggest something, I’d appreciate it. At this point I’ll try anything!

Thanks in advance,
WASSIM