ati2mtag: "CRT invalid display type"

Thread: ati2mtag: "CRT invalid display type"

ati2mtag: "CRT invalid display type"

After installing a new drive along with a fresh install of XP, I am wanting to keep things clean. Lately, I notice in my Event Viewer that these errors are showing up every so often: ati2mtag: "CRT invalid display type". I don't even use a CRT display. I'm not a gamer, but I did come home tonight to my PC which had shut down on its own. Not sure if these are related. After some searching, I see ATI Catalyst mentioned a lot. Is this what I should be looking at? How do I find what version of Catalyst I have? Should I install a newer version drivers availalbe (9.3)? How do I find what version I presently have? Do older versions need to be uninstalled before installing newer versions? Thanks for any help offered.

I found, under Device Manager that I have the Radeon X300/X500/X1050 Series and the Driver by ATI is version 8.421 dated 9/28/07. Is this the Catalyst driver?

Your drivers are really old. I'd update it. You can get either the driver only or the CCC package. I'd go with the plain drivers.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

You can uninstall the old drivers with driver sweeper first.
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

Thanks for the reply. I've downloaded the 9.3 driver. I checked reviews of Driver Sweeper and they're not that good. I may uninstall the way ATI suggests through the Control Panel. After uninstalling ATI stuff, I am told to reboot. If these drivers are required, won't I run into problems rebooting without them?

After you reboot, the system will drop to a lower resolution. You can install drivers after that.

Do what you like about the uninstall then. I've run Driver Sweeper a bunch of times with success. As with any tool, you need to look at the settings before you commit them.

Thread Information