gateway keeps dropping out

Thread: gateway keeps dropping out

gateway keeps dropping out

Hi, I have a problem on my network that i cannot seem to resolve.

Basically the server is running XP and has two network cards in it, one for the WAN and one for the LAN. The WAN network card goes into a router at the company where I work which has a DHCP server.

The problem is that the gateway address keeps dropping out sporadically between 5 and 50 minutes of connecting and prevents us from accessing the internet. I can get it back via a number of methods including ipconfig /renew, using 'Fix connection' or by changing any of the TCP/IP settings.

I have tried all combinations of server assigned and static IPs and gateways and nothing seems to work. The same thing happens whether or not the other connection to our LAN is active.

I am not sure if you need any more info, but has anyone got any ideas on why this might be happening and any possible solutions?

Thanks,
    Brad

I'm not sure which gateway you're referring to. The LAN Nic will list the WAN Nic as a gateway, and the WAN NIC will have the router as a gateway. Please advise.

Oops sorry! Should have mentioned that... The WAN NIC is the gateway that keeps dropping out. The IP details are as follows:

WAN:
    ip/sub: Auto
    gateway: 192.168.0.1 - Drops out

LAN:
    ip/sub: 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
    DNS: 192.168.1.1
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1

thanks

Thread Information