Controlling parallel port via network (not for printing)

Thread: Controlling parallel port via network (not for printing)

Controlling parallel port via network (not for printing)

Is it possible to use the parallel port of another computer via a network? Not for a printer, but to control hardware that uses the parallel port to communicate with.

I recently purchased a laptop to replace my old one.The new one does not have any parallel or serial ports, just usb. I need to program an fpga board and the software uses the parallel port to program it. Currently I require to transfer all the necessary files to the old laptop and program the fpga board on it manually each and every time.

That is why I would like to know if it is possible to create a 'virtual' port on the new computer that is tied directly to the real parallel port of the old computer?

Thank you in advance for any asistance

Well, somehow you would have to Share the LPT port. I don't know what language the fpga board uses, but would this be possible:

Install a Generic printer on the old laptop (Generic/Text Only) on LPT1. Then, share the Generic printer making LPT1 available over the network. Then, transfer files to \\oldlaptop\Genericprinter

I was thinking the same thing, but the fpga software wants to recognize a real lpt1 port on the new computer ( which it doesnt have). Is it possible to create a new lpt port on the new computer without there being any real one.

Yes. Using my above example, on the new computer enter:

net use lpt1: \\oldlaptop\Genericprinter

Thread Information