Hard Drive Noise

Thread: Hard Drive Noise

Hard Drive Noise

I have an ide (Western Digital) hard drive that when it boots up it sounds like it paper shredder (grinding noise) sound every 2 or 3 seconds. I'm sure it's the hard drive because I removed the power to it and it doesn't make the sound, only when it has power to it. Is the data pretty much lost since I can't even get the computer to POST to try and run some floppy utilities?

Hi Brian, long time no see, sounds like the HD is thrashed dont think data recovery is possible at this point but maybe someone else might have a solution for you. BJ

You might possibly be able to recover the data from it by putting the drive as a slave in another machine, but by the sound of things I wouldn't be too hopeful. Here are two excellent freeware data recovery programs:

PC Inspector

Restoration
    Nick.

BJ-Yeah, I always come back when I need help. Thanks to both of you but the data is pretty much lost which is what I expected.

If you really need to try and rescue the data, here are various methods to try and revive the hard drive:

200 ways to recover a hard drive (PDF)

hard drive revival
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSparks
    If you really need to try and rescue the data, here are various methods to try and revive the hard drive:

200 ways to recover a hard drive (PDF)

hard drive revival
    They have some pretty crazy ideas to recover the data. I'm going to freeze it and see what happens. When I try to recover the data I'm going to use a bootable floppy version of ghost and see if I can copy the hd over to another drive since (my cpa) has such a vast amount of data that I need to copy.

I agree that they seem somewhat bizarre, but they have all been known to work, so there's nothing to lose by trying. The important thing is to work fast, you sometimes only get a small window of opportunity to rescue things.
    Nick.

Well I tried it last night and it didn't work. Soon as I booted up the HD was already making that noise. As Homer Simpson would say, "You tried hard and you failed, the lesson here is never try."

Thread Information