Printing actual size pictures
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printing actual size pictures

Printing actual size pictures

I scanned in a picture that is smaller than 8.5x11". I would like to print it out exact size (which should fit fine on letter size paper), but no matter what I do (using the Printing Wizard in XP), the picture comes out smaller - maybe 90-95% of original size. There MUST be an easy way to do this, but I can't figure it out!

I tried to select the printing preferences of my HP 930C printer and make sure it's set to 100% original size. But it still comes out shrunken a bit.

Suggestions?
    My equipment:

Acer Aspire AX3300-U1322 Desktop (sorry didn't build this time!), 4Gb RAM, AMD Athlon II quad core CPU

With the XP Photo Printing Wizard you don't have much choice at all. It only print sout to pre-defined sizes and if your image is not one of those size it will just crop the photo to fit. And for the "Full page photo print" option which I guess you are using will not actually print full page 8.5x11 either even if your image is exactly 8.5x11 b/c it automatically shrinks the image smaller so that there will be borders all around (b/c it won't print full bleed.)

What you do is to NOT use the the Wizard. Your scanner and printer must have come with some photo editing and printing softwares. Use those to print instead. Otherwise the good old MS Paint (it comes w/ Windows) will do.

Why not try Irfanview?? Give way more options for printing.......

Hope this helps..........
    Please post back so others can benefit also........

Later
    John Steven

"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"

Good suggestions - thanks! I will use other printing options.
    My equipment:

Acer Aspire AX3300-U1322 Desktop (sorry didn't build this time!), 4Gb RAM, AMD Athlon II quad core CPU

Hmmm... no dice. I wonder if the printer itself is automatically resizing. The original image is roughly 7.25" x 10.8" - which leaves only 0.1" margin on 11" paper. I even brought the image into Powerpoint and set the page size as 8.5x11" (i.e., I took out the default margins). The picture measured correctly within Powerpoint. But when I printed, it was still shrunken to ~10.5" like before.

I've been looking within the printer driver to see if such a default minimum size is there. What's strange is that I'm pretty sure I've printed borderless photos with this printer - though they were only 4x6" pics.

MODS: given that this does not seem to be an XP issue anymore, should this thread be moved?
    Last edited by NickC; May 6th, 2005 at 09:35 AM.
    My equipment:

With Irfanview, have you tried adjusting the print options (see attachment)??

There are many custom print options available.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please post back so others can benefit also........

Later
    John Steven

"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"

Let's try this in Digital Imaging and see if someone there can come up with the answer.

My feeling is that the problem will be with the printer itself, 0.1" is probably just too small a margin for any printer to cope with.
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by John Steven
    With Irfanview, have you tried adjusting the print options??
    Yes, I had tried to print with zero margins. But it still left a small margin all around. I guess the easiet solution would be to print on legal size paper and then trim.
    My equipment:

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    It is not your software that's the problem but the printer. It has a set amount of space it can print on, most printers have a margin which they can't print past. Mine the margin the printer can print to is .25, so my prints will not print all the way to the edge of the paper. Yours is probably set the same that it has a certain amount for margins and won't print to the edge, as in some Epson printers are borderless, I don't know if your HP is borderless printing or not; if it is, you should check the documentation that came with the printer to see if there is a way to adjust the margins in the printer properties.

10.8", that's too much for your printer:HP Deskjet 900C Series Printers - Printable Area

Yup - that's the problem. Printing on legal size paper solves it nicely too!
    My equipment:

Use FastStone Image Viewer

After you click print, you can pick any size you wish, in inches.

6 years, 3 months and 23 days later ...

Never tooooo late

I was looking for a way to print exact sizes since I upgraded to Win7 from XP. All of my previous, WONDERFUL, printing programs don't function on Win 7. I downloaded and tried almost every free photo & viewer on the net until I
    found FastStone. The answers above my reply were all BS.

I hope my FastStone helps you like it does for me.

Quote Originally Posted by funfotos View Post

The answers above my reply were all BS.
    Re-read please.

Thread Information