Dell Latitude C600, built in wireless???

Thread: Dell Latitude C600, built in wireless???

Dell Latitude C600, built in wireless???

Do I have a wireless card built in?
    I have a C600 Dell Latitude and I popped off the memory door in the back and see a larger card plugged into the mobo. Isn't this a wireless card and what about that plug that is wider than the one that is plugged into this card that is just sitting there? Don't see anything in Dev Mgr though for this device.
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

On a Dell C600 you would most likely have software installed on your laptop called Dell TrueMobile and possibly Winroute. Look in add/remove programs for those. The mini pci card you are looking at is more likely the laptops modem card than a wireless NIC.

If you show nothing on the laptop about TrueMobile then you do not have a wireless card in that laptop.
    Micro$oft Works - I Finally Understand the Definition of an Oxymoron.

If it had a wireless card installed, you would see a mini coax antenna cable that is connected to the mini pci card on one end and the internal antenna on the other end. Can't miss it.

If you go to the dell site, and look up your model, you can download the setup driver for the card,then it will show up.I just reloaded one last week,(new hard drive) without having the restore cd, and card showed up as unknown device.After running the driver,it shows as wireless card.

http://support.dell.com/support/down...=19&l=en&s=dhs

the driver is R41300 714kb

If you have a mini PCI wireless card installed they are usually under a flap on the bottom of the laptop looking like this:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/upgrades.htm

If you have the mini PCI slot but no card installed you can get one from most major hardware suppliers I bought one last year for an 8600 model and paid about £24 which is cheaper than buying it direct from Dell or from eBay.

BTW check you bios as it can be disabled here or by the use of a desiganted key.

Thread Information