Compaq Armada E500 CMOS battery???

Thread: Compaq Armada E500 CMOS battery???

Compaq Armada E500 CMOS battery???

I pulled the keyboard and found a cr2016 button battery installed in this laptop.

The reason I was looking was because the laptop will only keep the time and date if it is plugged into AC. The regular laptop battery is long dead.

The user purchased a cr2016 3 volt battery and a cr2032 3 volt button battery as they were not sure which one to buy.

Well we tried to solder the leads that were punched to the original battery to the new cr2016 with a little too much heat and popped the battery. :P

So given the cr2032 had the same voltage we soldered that battery in and put it back in the laptop.

Problem: It still refuses to keep time when unplugged from AC.

The BIOS has no setting for date and time as it is kept by this battery from what little info I could find on this laptop by googling.

Any idea what else may be wrong or should we just get another cr2016 and resolder and see what happens?

Thanks for any input.
    Micro$oft Works - I Finally Understand the Definition of an Oxymoron.

Cool Compaq Armada E500 CMOS battery???

paisan how old is this thing, I was seaching for it and nothing could be found on it. Please tell me how old it is. James
    Dell Desktop-Dimension 2400
    Windows XP sp-2
    Processer Intel 2.60 ghz
    hard drive 80 Gigs.
    Memory 256 megs
    My doctor tell's me that if I'm not starving, then I'm not staying on my diet!

Looking at the manual for this lapper was not much help.

HP Support e500 here

Section 510 refers to the RTC battery. Is that the one you changed? Not much info there.
    If you think AOL sucks just try MSN to see really bad service.

That is the one I changed. Just was not sure if using the cr2032 instead of the cr2016 battery that was in it originally would make any difference.

As for age I have been here 5 years and it is at least a couple years older than that.

Not absolutely sure of age though. Sorry.

Cool Compaq Armada E500 CMOS battery???

Thank you very much for that information. That makes a big difference. Also the fact that it is listed under HP is a big help. James
    Windows XP sp-2
    Processer Intel 2.60 ghz
    hard drive 80 Gigs.
    Memory 256 megs

Cool Re: Compaq Armada E500 CMOS battery???

I found pretty much the same thing as OPOVET2, except I found a slightly different manual, it's the same thing in that it doesn't have the correct battery number anywhere. It's at this url if you want to look for yourself. http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/s...79-001_ch5.pdf It's near the end of the manual. I don't know what to tell you. James
    Windows XP sp-2
    Processer Intel 2.60 ghz
    hard drive 80 Gigs.
    Memory 256 megs

Thanks for your help everyone.

I know the battery is a cr2016 button battery typically used in cameras.

I substituted a cr2032 (usually found on most desktop motherboards.

Problem is the laptop still does not keep the date and time when unplugged from AC.

Just wanted to know if anyone thinks it makes any difference using the cr2032 vs the cr2016 that was originally in the laptop?

Both are 3 volts.

Thanks.

They expect you to re-use those connectors from the original battery, but that is easier said then done.
    You can use the 2032 provided you can get a good connection and keep it insulated from any other components.
    If you have a good digital volt meter, you can make sure your getting 3 volts at the plug end and also test to make sure your new battery isn't DOA, more common then you think.
    You could also just buy pulls with the connectors included if worse comes to worse.
    There's some on e-bay here out of armada m700's

EDIT: btw, do you see a resume battery in there as well?
    Some laptops had both but I see nothing in the manual mentioning it.
    Last edited by Triple7's; March 3rd, 2005 at 04:20 PM.

Never thought to look on ebay. I will have our eletrician check voltages tomorrow.

Nothing mentioned on this laptop about resume battery. Where would I be looking for this?

Thanks for everyones help. Greatly appreciated as usual

I thought it strange that no part number was listed for ordering a replacement battery. I do recall seeing a note that it was encluded in the plastic parts replacment kit?

If this was my lapper, I would check those voltages on the battery and if still good hook up a external power supply and put the three volts into the box. If it still did not work would have to assume it is the motherboard.

opovet2: Not sure what you mean by:

"hook up a external power supply and put the three volts into the box."

I am no electrician for sure so what would the external power supply be and not sure what you mean by put the three volts into the box.

Thanks in advance for any details you can provide.

First, as Train said the voltage needs to be checked after the solder job of the battery leads.

Second, one of the ways for a tech to check a problem like this is to bypass the battery with the use of an external power supply. Most shops have adjustable power supplies that could be connected to the leads that came off the old battery. Since the lapper keeps time OK when AC is plugged in, the problem has to be either the battery, the leads connecting the battery to the laptop, or some point inside the laptop such as the internal connector pins, ribbon or etched runs on the motherboard up to the point that the 3 volts from the battery gets to the clock circuit or chip. Without the proper diagrams, it will require a visual tracing to follow where the 3 volts DC travels and the return path.

Thread Information