sfc /scannow - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sfc /scannow

..and this is the remaining accounts
    Attached Images Attached Images

sfc /scannow

tpm,
    What I found was that the only account that would allow me to run sfc was the original account that I set up when I installed Windows on this computer.
    As I understand it, when Windows XP is installed it creates a default Administrator account and then allows you to create user accounts. The first (and only) user account I created on this computer was named depawl, and was an administrator account. Later I changed it to a limited account due to internet security concerns. Of course it wouldn't let me run sfc under a limited account, but the odd thing is that I couldn't run it under the default administrator account either.
    So I changed my depawl account back to an Administrator account and then it would run sfc ok.
    Have to give credit to SuperSparks, his first reply to this post got me thinking in this direction
    Regards
    Dennis

thanks depawl but did you run it in safe mode or normal????

sfc /scannow

Sorry,
    I ran it in normal mode. I know I've looked a several web sites over the past few days that discuss running sfc and I don't think any of them mentioned running in Safe Mode unless you can't get it to run in normal mode.

I'm glad you got it sorted out in the end Depawl

tpm, try doing what I suggested above, Hit Ctrl>Alt>Del twice at the Windows logon screen, type Administrator as the username and whatever password was entered when Windows was first installed (if any). Try SFC from there.

And you have far too many Admin accounts - it only takes one of those users to pick uip some malware and the malware will have the full run of the machine. You should only give administrator priveleges to users who really need it, and can be trusted to practice "safe computing" at all times.
    Nick.

Thanks SuperSparks will try what you suggested. As for my admin accts. I have a large family with computer savy kids, all with admin rights are over 18 yrs old. But thanks for the heads up

sfc /scannow

Interesting though that I can't run sfc from the main Administrator account.

Thread Information