Safe Computing - Is It Possible? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Safe Computing - Is It Possible?

Notice I said "if I make a horrendous mistake". This means I recognise the fact that I am reponsible for operating my computer. And what happens to it is because of me, not the hardware and not the software and not the programmers. I cause the problems that my computer has/gets.

Backups are to cover for my mistakes.

Until and unless all computer users learn that (IMHO) we will continue to have a thriving Malware Defense industry making the bucks from all of us.

Still running clean, lean, and mean. Computer is running faster too seems like.

Going to run maintenence in the morning and will look for hidden nasty files then. If none are found I will bring my XP Home into the loop. With the SPs it should be tighter than Win98SE.

No active malware defense programs running at the present time, not even ZA. All defense apps are in folders if needed. There is no way I can lose this machine operationally with the backups and standby apps in place.

Using the monitor as a system controller. If it bobbles I check it out.

This whole thing is plum interesting.

greengoose1

So you have no programs that would be checking for updates, unless you do them manually???.......and how do you check any programs trying to get on line?...Hmmmmm?
    poppy

Just a suggestion but you could use NetStat Live to monitor network activity without interferring with any spyware or viruses.
    We use our powers for good, not evil

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong
    conclusion with confidence.

Poppy, Good question. I keep the system tight. The only cookies I have are for the few places I go everyday. All others are deleted. I clear the interent temp files after each session and do a disk cleanup. I randomly run various malware defense apps such as spywareblaster, house call, panda, HJT to keep an eye on things. Takes no time at all to run most of these. (Good way tolearn the HJT Logs entries whether they are good or bad. The updates are done manually when the file is open. But one of the biggest aids is your monitor - to recognise when something did not act right on it. That is the time to stop and check because it is the only problem you have more than likely. It is at this point you need to act.

But I think the biggest thing I do is not click without knowing what I am clicking on. Most of the stuff that wants in on any computer has to be let in by the user. At least this is the indication I am getting. And it seems to be proving out so far.

You said it sounded scary to you the other day but believe me, it is not if you have your backups and malware defense apps ready. Another thought that crossed my mind is the all applications and/or programs that you have cannot be harmed if there closed. That means any program coming into a computer also has to be opened before it can execute.

So far I find this takes less time and the OS seems more stable and operates rather crisply.

Hope I said this so it is understandable. I don't know kow long this setup has to run to be valid but I will probably run it alot longer. Real happy with the results so far.

Hi Leurgy,

Will take a look. Thanks.

Poppy, just so you know, I check my Test OS other than HJT from Another copy of XP as I have a multiboot setup. So far the checking has been a waste of time. But it makes me feel good and I like the fact nothing is found.

Quote Train
    "But it makes me feel good and I like the fact nothing is found."
    Definitely understand that....great feeling.

Greengoose1
    ....only thing I don't get is how you would know if a nastie gets in and tries to go on line, while you are on line.......like ZA would block....but w/out ZA on...then what?
    poppy

Poppy with XP/SP2 you have a built in firewall. I can't answer your question on WIN98SE yet. Will dig into it abit.

GG....got it!...curious to know what you'll find...poppy

Looking back over what I have done, I found I would have to let something in before it could transmit.

Originally posted by poppy4
    GG....got it!...curious to know what you'll find...poppy
    My thoughts are, "If you do not let it get aboard, it can not get out."

Again, taking the time to find out what is trying to get downloaded onto your computer and make double sure of what you do let aboard.

Originally posted by Leurgy
    Just a suggestion but you could use NetStat Live to monitor network activity without interferring with any spyware or viruses.
    Trying that right now. Do you have any words of wisdom. Looks like netstat -ano would be better. Well in some ways.

EDIT>

Here is this.

Originally posted by Train
    My thoughts are, "If you do not let it get aboard, it can not get out."

Again, taking the time to find out what is trying to get downloaded onto your computer and make double sure of what you do let aboard.
    That IS totally logical... and an anthem for all users, ....particularly if anyone tries what you, greengoose1 and Nix are doing.

poppy

netstat -ano
    Not sure what you mean by that.

No real words of wisdom beyond the fact that obviously network activity on an idle computer will indicate some sort of spyware or virus, since you don't have a firewall to alert you.

The icon shows the status of the connection with the small triangle on the bottom of the icon. If it is green, it's received or send data within the last 60 seconds, if it is yellow, it hasn't had any network activity for 60 seconds to 120 seconds, and if it hasn't had any activity after that, it turns red. If the left portion of the icon lights up white, then it's sending data, and if the right portion lights up white, then it's receiving data. You can maximize the app again simply by left clicking on the icon, or you can bring up a small menu of options by right clicking on it..
    Thought it would help with your experiment.
    We use our powers for good, not evil

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong
    conclusion with confidence.

Thread Information