trojan virus

Thread: trojan virus

trojan virus

i have reformated my computer 50 x's now.f-disked,if i performed it properly,just when i think i can upgrade to xp the trojan virus appears.i bought defender pro 10 in 1 anti-virus and it can't get rid of it.it even tells me so.i hav egot to get rid of this.please help before i blow it up.i am tired of reformating my harddrive

First off, which trojan do you have?

When you reformated your computer did you Fdisk/MBR ? It is possible that the trojan is in your Master Boot Record.

What programs are you loading into your system before you attempt the upgrade to XP? You should not need to install anything in order to go to XP. It is possible that one of the programs you are loading onto your system is infected with the trojan and that is why you keep getting it.

Hope this helps but at this point the name of the trojan is the best starting point.

Doc
    "To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."

Home Build Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz, 2 Gig RAM, Dual Boot XP Pro and Ubuntu 8.04LS

I'm not sure if this applies in this case or not, but when I want to make sure it's all off the drive, when I format I use the format /U command. I also write zeros to the drive using a harddrive utility specifically for my harddrive. Depends on how bad I want to kill what's on the drive. Sometimes I Fdisk then format /U then zero the drive.

If I don't do that I notice that when I install windows, it already contains parts of information from a prior install such as my area code for my phone number (when I go to put the info in for my internet connection). This tells me that a standard format doesn't get rid of all the information. In which case, a virus/trojan could survive.

But I don't know if it does anything to the MBR or not. My hd utility will zero the drive and will make it bootable or make it a slave drive so I don't know what process is involved.

l2l2

Thread Information