LAN/Nortons conflict?

Thread: LAN/Nortons conflict?

LAN/Nortons conflict?

Hi, I'm trying to set up DSL and whenever I enable my LAN connection it disables nortons auto protect (as long as it's enabled Nortons is disabled on start up). When I go into Nortons to enable auto protect it throws up an error message...

INTERNET EXPLORER SCRIPT ERROR
    LINE: 87
    CHAR: 5
    ERROR: UNSPECIFIED ERROR
    COD: 0
    URL: RES://C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVUI.dll/navstats.htm
    DO YOU WANT TO CONTINUE RUNNING SCRIPTS ON THIS PAGE?
    (I click yes but nothing happens, the message goes away and nortons is still disabled)

I have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Win XP Pro, my DSL modem is from T-Online. Also this is my first time with DSL so I'm not sure about setting it up. So far when I enable the lan connection it doesn't find the modem and I'm not sure about the installation cd as it is all in Deutsche, will I need to install drivers for the modem? And I have read about phone line interference with DLS and something about line filters or whatever. What I was given from Deutsche Telekom is a DSL splitter and a modem. Is there any other hardware I should have? I am so in the dark on DSL. I'll be giving up ISDN and as far as I can tell setting up a connection is not the same. I don't have a username or a password at this point, will I need one? I've done a search but everything pulls up with company X's specific instructions for their components or their network settings. I didn't realy find just general instructions.

Greetings HPNOMORE!,

Here's what turned up doing a search at Symantec. Have a look here in this link.

Auto-Protect is disabled after installing the Norton AntiVirus 2002 program update and then restarting
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=bar_sch_nam
    Eric

Thanx, that's one down. They throw the switch for DSL today, guess we'll see what happens!

Well I was wrong on the fixed part. Aparently a lot of people are having all sorts of problems after intalling service pack 2. I have tried probably a dozen "fixes" for nortons or my lan port with the "connection has limited or no connectivity" warning. I have killed 4 1/2 hours combatting these two with no luck as well as trying to repair my laptop. This sucks.

That limited or no connectivity message just means your computers are configure to automatically obtain an ip address but cannot communicate with the DHCP server. It doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong because you should still be able to access the other computers on the network. The network assigned itself within the 169.254.x.x range.

Try these suggestions:

1) Turn off the cable/dsl modem and router and wait about 5 seconds. Then plug it back in and let it try to rebuild.

2) The network card is configured to automatically sense speed and duplex settings but isn't doing it correctly. Set those options manually, as shown here:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...etworkcard.htm

3) Try downloading the latest compatible drivers from the manufacturer's website for the network card.

4) Determine that the winsock isn't corrupt. Details here.

How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;811259
    Eric

I don't know if this is relevant, but Norton AV AutoProtect will not work after installation (or, re-installation) until you've updated the program. Did you just install (or, re-install) Norton? Did you go to LiveUpdate?

ecross, I haven't gotten to your suggestions yet but I know number 1 doesn't work cause that was the first thing I tried. I also hit the repair option on the connetion and it failed. But as far as updating NAV 2002, yes, I have logged on and downloaded all it would give me. Oh and I also went in and down loaded the latest drivers for the Lan Port (3 com) but to no avail. Also I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier but if I disable this network connection then NAV will work fine, as soon as I enable it NAV wants to disable itself. If I right click My Computer and choose manage, then Services and Applications, then Services, and then on Nortons and then Stop the service and Start it again it will work till the next time I boot up the computer. Wouldn't be so bad if I could figure out how to make a shortcut. I think I'm just gonna get NAV 2005 since the only people having a problem are the Nav 2002 owners. I like NAV so I don't mind giving them the money I just hope it works. Oh and thanks for the help so far!!!
    Last edited by HPNOMORE!; January 29th, 2005 at 05:01 AM.

Ok, I tried to "Specify Explicit Speed and Duplex Settings" but all I can do is tell it "full 100". It still wants to search for an IP address, I wish I new what to stick in there. Also I chose full 100 but it connects to the internet at 10mbs so I set it back to "auto" and it connects at 100mbs again. I guess I can live with it, it just takes a little time at start up cause it does it's little search thing. NAV 2005 seems to be doing well, I haven't fully tested it yet. I had to restart after downloading all the updates and it came up with the x through it, but then it started and went into a full system scan. I'm gonna log off in a minute and restart to see what happens. One last question before I go and I'm sure this is going to sound stupid...I have read that dsl can be as fast as 3 or 4 hundred mbs. If I'm using a 10/100mbs board is it possible I'm not receiving the full connection speed??

It is normal in Windows XP Service Pack 2 to go through the Aquiring network address state. Once authenticated has succeeded, your computer attemps to obtain a ip address from the DHCP Server. It it doesn't you'll receive a No Limited or Connectivity message.

Also, that is a normal behavior with Norton Antivirus. The auto protect is disabled until all other programs in the system tray icons finish loading. However, your still protected during this time. Also, see the following article. Details here.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=bar_sch_nam
    Eric

Ok but the last time I restarted the computer it didn't change untill I went in under my computer as stated above..."If I right click My Computer and choose manage, then Services and Applications, then Services, and then on Nortons and then Stop the service and Start it again it will work till the next time I boot up the computer." I'm not jumping the gun, I usualy do something else for a while but when it's time to connect to the internet I make sure the X is gone and nortons is fully operational! Oh well if this is all I have to live with in order to run dsl it's worth it!

Thread Information