Scanners, what power supply.

Thread: Scanners, what power supply.

Hybrid View

Scanners, what power supply.

I got three scanners from a private party and he does not know the power supply. How do I match these scanners with a bucket of power adapters.

On the back of the Umax it says 12V does that mean that I look for a PS with the Output as 12V or +12V or what.

I did find one that says Output +12V--1.25A
    Could this be the adapter for one of these scanners?
    Do flatbed scanners have similar voltage? I have an HP, Umax and an EasyPhoto ImageWave. They are all older flatbed scanners like 1998 or so.
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

There is no standard voltage or polarity of the connecting plug, it's whatever the manufacturers decided on when they designed it. Unless it states on the scanner itself you'll have a real problem matching the scanners with a power supply. A Google search on the scanner model number might get you the info needed with a little luck.
    Nick.

Umax Astra 610P says input 12V--1A and the plug-in says 12V

HP Scanjet 3300C says 12VDC--1.25A

Hum, would you think that these would run on the same adapter? I don't know why one says VDC and the other says V.

The adapter that I have says YHI Power Adaptor: Input 100---120V-
    Output +12--1.25A

I wish they would put the name of the scanner on the adapter. I have a bucket of adaptors. A friggan bucket!

What is the difference between Input and output. Why would the imput be 100 to 120?
    Does the output say what the adapter will put out to a device? If so then we need to follow the output of an adapter to the specs on the device right. In this case of the HP, that looks right. Is this right?
    Thanks, JB

OK, the input is the mains voltage, most of those adaptors have a range over which they will ahppily work which is why it says 100 to 120v. The output does indeed tell you what the power supply puts out.

The dashes "- -" denontes that the output is DC (if you see a tilde " ~ " it denotes AC), so on the one where it says VDC they've just used some redundancy with the info.

I think that you could use a 12v DC adaptor with a minimum output of 1.25A on both those scanners, provided, and this is the big concern, the polarity of the plug is the same on both. Do the scanners have any indication of the plug polarity on them?
    Nick.

Do you mean like a C with a - or + for the inside or outside of the pin?
    I have seen that on only one of them.

The power adapter actuall says this: MODEL :YS - 1015 - U12
    INPUT :100-120V~ 60Hz,0.45A
    OUTPUT :12v--1.25A

I wonder if the U12 means Umax. Probably not.
    Thanks, JB

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. If you connect a power suppy with the wrong polarity up to one of those scanners, one of two things will happen - it'll either simply not work, or you'll wreck it completely, depending on whether they put any protection circuitry in. So you'll have to decide whether you want to take the risk, if you cannot find out for sure. Having the centre pin as positive is more common, though, if that's any help.
    Nick.

Thread Information