trouble installing printer

Thread: trouble installing printer

trouble installing printer

Guys,
    I'm trying to install a lexmark printer/fax onto a PC that was/is really badly infected.(you can check out the logfile in the Hijack forum)The printer used to work fine then the PC went bust and now it won't work.I uninstalled the printer and tried to reinstall.The printer is recognised when plugged in and asks for the software disk to be inserted.It attempts to load the software and somewhere near the end I get these error messages

"Attempt to access invalid address"
    "RPC server unavailable"
    It then forces an abort.
    Is this related to the problems I'm having with the PC or something else.I waiting on someone to post back to me regarding the hijacklog cos the virus scan and adaware and spybot show no problems.

Thanks for any help

PS. I've just bought HP PHOTOSMART R707 digital camera on the advice of a friend as a christmas present.Not knowing anything about cameras I'd just like to know is it of a good standard?
    Last edited by vulture10; December 18th, 2004 at 07:38 PM.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Yes, spyware, and viruses can have effect on installing programs, getting other drivers to work correctly. Clean up the computer and try a fresh download of the driver from manufacturer.

As for your camera, I am not familar with this brand's model; however, I found a very good review of it that goes quite indepth. Link is below:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/hp/r707/

Thanks Photolady,

I'll get to work on the PC and get back to you if I have any more probs.

Photolady,

I think the problems with the PC are nearly sorted,however I still can't install this printer onto it.The error that come up when I put the installation disk in reads something like "c\windows\system32\autoexec nt. System file not suitable for running ms-dos +windows applications.

The error regarding the RPC server being unavailable still shows up every so often.

Can you provide any insight into this please.

check the BIOS settings in start up as well.,, I had a PC (ME- to XP )that ran a printer perfectly, till we formatted,, then upon new O/S it would not recognise printer, till figured out the Bios settings had to be turned on/ adjusted to take printer .
    Windows 10 Home 64 Intel® Core™ i5-8265U (1.6 GHz base frequency, up to 3.9 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
    17.3" diagonal HD+ SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1600 x 900) 256 GB - 5400 rpm SATA
    Windows 10 //21H1 (OS Build 19044..2251) 64bit //Google Chrome 118.0.5993.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)/ 16GB Memory/ AMD Radeon HD 7700 series Video Card//N68C-GS FX2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core /[/B]

Still getting this error about the autoexec.nt file.This is what it looks like

@echo off
    lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
    lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\redir
    lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dosx
    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

It's in three locations..the windows\system32 folder.the C\i386 and the Windows\repair folder.All the same.Just in case the config.nt files are in same location and look like this

Rdos=high, umb
    device=%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\himem.sys
    files=40.

TTodd,where in the bios are printer settins located??

Can anyone help.The PC is clean.

The only time I've seen a printer setting in BIOS had to be adjusted was if the printer was setup to use the LPT1 port (parallel). Then you had to change the ECP to EPP. Using USB one doesn't change anything in BIOS.

That's a common error and there is a fix for it. See the link below and go get the XP fix. Just scroll down the page to XP Fix, download it, run it and restart your computer.

http://www.visualtour.com/downloads

Photolady,you're an angel.

Did what you suggested and its working..Print quality isn't great but I think the black catridge is history.

Thanks so much

Aww!! gee!! Thanks vulture. What tipped me off to your problem was this "System file not suitable for running ms-dos +windows applications." Then I knew exactly what to tell you to fix it.

Thread Information